Q: Grandma, I have white heads underneath my eyes. They are getting bigger which is really embarrassing. Please advice some home remedies that can alleviate my dry skin and remove white heads.
A: Dear M, Whiteheads are formed due to various reasons such as clogged hair follicles and excessive natural oil production in the skin. They appear as small white spots that usually concentrate on the sides of the nose and underneath the eyes. Although smaller and less ugly than blackheads, they can give rise to acne when infected by bacteria. Treating this common facial problem consists of several tested solutions using natural ingredients that are gentle to use even for dry skins. These alternative elements are mostly to be found at home.
HOME REMEDIES FOR WHITEHEADS
1. Lemon skin – Rub the face with lemon skin two times a week.
2. Vinegar and corn starch – Mix the two ingredients until they become paste in consistency. Apply on the face and leave on for 15 to 30 minutes before rinsing off with warm water. Wipe with washcloth.
3. Raw milk – Combine 50 ml of raw milk and two teaspoons of lime juice. Add a pinch of salt. Apply the mixture to clean the deep pores.
4. Groundnut oil – Combine one tablespoon each of groundnut oil and lime juice. Apply the mixture on the affected area regularly.
5. Pomegranate – Make a paste out of roasted and powdered pomegranate skin with some amount of lime juice. Apply the paste on the affected area on regular basis.
6. Fenugreek leaves – Regularly apply a paste made from fenugreek leaves and water for overnight treatment of the face infected with whiteheads.
7. Potato – Grate potatoes and apply as facial mask.
8. Sandalwood powder – Make a paste by combining sandalwood powder and rose water. Apply on the face for 20 to 30 minutes before washing off with warm water.
9. Egg and honey – Mix well the white of a medium-sized egg and one teaspoon of honey. Apply on the affected spot and leave on for 30 minutes before rinsing off with tepid water.
10. Garlic – Rub garlic on the affected area. Let the skin absorb the garlic juice for 15 minutes before rinsing. Do this at least three times a day.
11. Oatmeal – Make a paste by stirring a tiny amount of oatmeal with pure water. Apply the thick paste on the delicate spots and leave on for 15 to 20 minutes. Wash the paste off with cold water to tighten the pores.
12. Sodium bicarbonate – Mix four teaspoons of bicarbonate with one cup of boiled water. Use a cotton ball in applying the paste on the affected areas. Leave on for 20 minutes then wash off with lukewarm water.
13. Toothpaste – Wash the face with mild soap first before squeezing a tiny dab of toothpaste on the area. Leave the paste on the face overnight.
14. Rubbing alcohol – Dip a cotton ball or swap in the alcohol and dab on the whiteheads. Avoid overuse to prevent skin dryness.
15. Honey – Apply directly on the affected areas. Leave on for ten minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
16. Water – Drink at least two liters or eight glasses or more of fresh water every day to keep the skin hydrated.
17. Steaming – Use the steam from boiling herbal tea. Press the skin lightly with a sterilized cotton swab to loosen pores and release the clogged oil.