Q: Grandma, I found a great patch with signs of flea infestation on my cat that does not go outside. I have used Dawn in the past and it helps for a while but they keep coming back. I am at loss and need something strong. I am semi-disabled so I need home remedy.
A: Dear N, When you use Dawn (or any other product) and it succeeds in getting rid of fleas, your work is only half done. The thing is, the fleas’ eggs drop on to the floor or get into the furniture. After a while, they hatch and the infestation starts all over again. This means that after you get rid of the beasties on your cat, you also have to make sure that your whole house is sanitized. Cheer up; here are some home remedies you can try.
HOME REMEDIES USING VARIOUS SUBSTANCES TO GET RID OF FLEAS
1. Dishwashing liquid – Wash your cat with dishwashing liquid (a solution made of 50 per cent Dawn works fine) to get rid of existing fleas. Rinse and repeat the process to ensure you have removed all the fleas.
2. Flea comb – Use a flea comb before and after bathing your cat to remove eggs and prevent re-infestation when eggs hatch. Use a piece of paper to clean the comb and burn the paper after. Do this after each time you have tried home remedies using Dawn and other substances to get rid of fleas.
3. Vinegar – Launder your cat’s beddings right after its bath so that the fleas do not relocate to the cat’s fur. Add a cup of vinegar when you launder your cat’s beddings and include the material on places where your cat likes to sleep. To prevent re-infestation, do this after home remedies using Dawn and other substances to get rid of fleas
4. Diatomaceous earth – Put a tablespoon of diatomaceous earth on your vacuum bag ad vacuum away. Sprinkle some around your house after you vacuum It suffocates fleas.
5. Lemon – Boil 2 cups of water and add a sliced lemon. Use this liquid o spray your cat several times a day to keep fleas away.
6. Dawn dishwashing liquid – After giving your cat a bath with Dawn dishwashing liquid, prepare a spray of equal parts Dawn and water. Spray your cat’s bed, the sofa or couch and all the places where your cat likes to lounge. A fine spray mist works best so you don’t need to worry about drying stuff after.
7. Dawn dishwashing liquid in bowls – Leave bowls of water with dishwashing liquid under lights to attract the fleas which will fall into the bowl.
8. Boric acid – Sprinkle boric acid on your carpet the use a broom to make the powder settle deep into the carpet. Boric acid is not particularly toxic but fleas cannot tolerate it.
9. Rosemary – Put two sprigs of rosemary on a pot of boiling water. Strain liquid and use as a spray on your cat. Let the lavender dry naturally.
10. Apple cider vinegar – Add a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to your cat’s food or water. This will help keep fleas away from their food supply. Do this after you have tried home remedies using Dawn and other substances to get rid of fleas 
11. Vinegar, water, lemon juice and witch hazel – Mix 1 gallon vinegar, ½ gallon water. 16 oz lemon juice and 8 oz. witch hazel. Spray this on carpets after vacuuming every 5 to 7 days for 3 weeks.
12. Salt – Sprinkle your carpets with salt and leave overnight. Vacuum the next day and throw the vacuum bag away right after vacuuming.