Q: Grandma, I have heard that calamansi and papaya are potent solutions for pimples. Do you have any other natural suggestions for pimples?
A: Dear C, Acne or acne vulgaris is a skin eruption that is characterized by a red-rash. In its severe form, it can have the appearance of inflammatory papules, pustules, and nodules in its more severe forms. This skin problem results from the surging of hormones that triggers hyperactivity of the skin’s oil glands (sebaceous glands) that is common during puberty and adolescence. This results to the plugging of pores and eventually skin outbreaks and lesions commonly known as pimples or zits. These commonly occur on the face, but may also develop on neck, back, chest, and shoulders. One good and safe way to cure this skin problem is to use home remedies for pimples using papaya, calamansi and many other home ingredients.
Home Remedies Using Calamansi & Papaya for Pimples
1. Papaya – Papaya is a tropical fruit that is considered to be a super acne remedy. The fruit, the leaves and the seeds as can all be used for the skin care. Papaya is good in exfoliating dead skin cells that may block hair follicles leading to pimples. The fruit contains an enzyme called papain that reduces inflammation of acne while it smoothen the skin. 
2. Papaya fruit – This is also a healthy fruit. The enzyme papain and the antioxidant beta-carotene in papaya help in nourishing the skin and keep it glowing.
3. The enzymes in papaya – The enzyme can also help treat acne scars and wrinkles on the skin. This can be done by mixing 2 tbsp. of fresh papaya with 1 tbsp. of dry oatmeal. This mixture can be applied to the skin for 8 to 10 minutes. Scrub the mixture on the skin with a washcloth to. Rinse well with warm water. Do the scrubbing at least once a week until you see visible results are observed.
4. Lemon or calamansi juice – Lemon is widely known to be a great skin ally as it whitens the skin and help in keeping its clear from pimples and other blemishes. Calamansi is a tropical citus that works well like lemon. These citrus fruits contain citric acid which possess antibacterial property.
5. Papaya – Lemon/Calamansi juice – Mix three tablespoons of mashed ripe papaya with a tablespoon of either calamansi or lemon juice. Apply this mixture on clean or washed skin – face, neck or back. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes to overnight depending on the severity of the problem and if you can stand it. Using warm water when washing off the mixture from the skin.
6. Eggs-Calamansi Juice – These home remedies for pimples are best combined by whisking the egg white with calamansi juice contains protein and some acidity. Mix the ingredients well and then apply evenly on the face and other affected areas for 15 to 20 minutes. Wash it off using mild soap and cold water. 
7. Honey-Sugar-Calamansi-Ginger Scrub – Honey and brown sugar is but enhanced a bit with calamansi and ginger. If the sugar and honey can provide the exfoliation, the calamansi can dry up excess oil while the ginger with its antibacterial property can prevent the inflammation of the acne. Scrub lightly to stimulate the skin and not irritate it. Leave it on like a mask for 10-15minutes. The alternative is just to extract the juices of calamansi and ginger and apply directly on the zits. Keep on using non-acnegenic/noncomedogenic moisturizer afterwards to prevent the drying of the skin. 
8. Calamansi for the scars – Rub halved calamansi on scars just like when you are applying lemon extracts before bath for 20-30 minutes. Keep it on the skin briefly if irritation occurs. This is best used with a whitening soap and lotion and Vitamin E.