Not all hair growth is welcomed with open arms. For example, many women are not pleased with hair growth that appears under the chin and on the face. Unwanted hair growth can also appear on the breasts, back, and other parts of the body. From ingrown hairs to extremely hairy body parts, men can also benefit from becoming familiar with home remedies for unwanted hair.
Causes of Unwanted Hair Growth
While some men desire a clean-shaven appearance, hair growth on the face is an expected occurrence. However, for women, unwanted hairs can become a frustrating feature that they’d much rather eliminate. Usually, hormones and estrogen levels play a role in excessive hair growth in women. Other times, unwanted hair growth is simply a trait passed down from the family tree. A lot of people, both men and women, carry this sort of characteristic – especially in certain ethnic groups with thick, dark hair traits – including women from the Mediterranean .
Unwanted Hair Home Remedies
While shaving is one of the best and most inexpensive ways to remove unwanted hair, the results typically last only between one and three days. Creating your own wax at home or exploring other hair removal methods, such as sugaring, can create longer lasting results of up to six weeks. Below you will find a handful of home remedies for unwanted hair to consider:
1. Lemon Juice – Mother’s Nature answer to bleach is lemon juice and some people have used this substance as an alternative to expensive facial bleaching products. To lessen the appearance of unwanted facial hair, mix an equal amount of lemon juice and honey. Leave the blend on your face for 10 to 15 minutes as a daily treatment. One serving uses 1 teaspoon of each ingredient.
2. Lime Juice – To lighten dark hairs, lime juice can also be used for unwanted hair growth. Before going to bed, apply a paste made out of two teaspoons of fresh lime juice and ½ teaspoon sugar. Repeat three to four times per week for two months to see the best results.
3. Homemade Waxing – Instead of going to the local spa or beauty salon for a waxing, consider making your own home remedies for unwanted hair growth. Mix one teaspoon each of honey, lemon, and sugar. Heat the ingredients in a microwave for one to two minutes until the mixture becomes warm. Using the dull side of a butter knife, apply a smooth layer on your face. Cover with cellophane paper and quickly pull in the opposite direction of hair growth. For legs, use a strip of clean fabric to remove hair using this homemade wax recipe.
4. Pumice Stone – While taking a bath, apply soap to your legs and gently scrub with a pumice stone on a daily basis. Over time, you will see hair growth gradually lessen and diminish.
5. Tweezers – To rid your face of unwanted hair growth, use a pair of tweezers to pluck away. Getting as close as possible to the root of hairs is the key to long-term success. Over time, hairs will grow back thinner and create a less noticeable appearance.
6. Sandpaper – Some people have successfully resorted to gently removing unwanted hairs by using sandpaper.
7. Egg Mixture – Create a sticky paste by blending one egg white, ½ tablespoon corn flour, and one tablespoon of sugar. Apply the remedy to your face and gently peel off after it has dried. Repeat this process three to four times per week to see the best results.
8. Pepper, Camphor and Kerosene – To remove unwanted hair from the legs, some say that you can mix ground white pepper with camphor. Add a couple drops of kerosene to the mixture. Apply remedy to the legs and leave on for 10 to 15 minutes. Hair will supposedly fall off.
9. Body Sugaring – Sugaring is another technique to remove unwanted hair growth and you can make your own recipe at home. Add ¼ cup of water, two cups sugar, and ¼ cup lemon juice to a pan. Heat the ingredient on medium heat or microwave until bubbles form and the mixture becomes a smooth consistency. Allow the remedy to cool down until it becomes warm to the touch. Before using, dust your legs with a bit of cornstarch or plain flour. This will absorb the natural oils of your body and lead to better results.
Spread a thin layer of the sugar mixture – following the direction of the hair. Apply a 1-inch strip of cotton cloth to the sugar and rub in place with your hand. When the sugar cools and hardens, quickly pull away the cloth in the opposite direction of hair growth. Repeat two to three times. Some people will experience temporary discomfort or pain, which is described as tolerable.