Q: Grandma, I am looking for a solution to treat my toenail fungal infection. I don’t want to use chemical-based medications. Are there safe home remedies for toenail fungal infection?
A: Dear L, Fungal infection is caused by fungus that causes your nails to show signs like cracking and discoloration. It is best to address the infection as soon as possible as it can penetrate deeper into the nail. Aside from being painful, the symptoms are really unsightly which can affect your self-esteem. Don’t be discouraged as there are ways to treat this infection courtesy of natural ingredients found right in your home.
HOME REMEDIES FOR TOENAIL FUNGAL INFECTION
1. Onion – Peel an onion and slice it into several pieces. Rub the onion slices onto the infected toenail for several minutes.
2. Tea tree oil- Dip a cotton ball in the oil and use it to rub the affected toenail once in the morning and before retiring to bed at night. Tea tree oil can also be combined with equal amount of lavender oil. Dab the toenails with the mixture two to three times a day.
3. Turmeric powder – Add enough water to one tablespoon of turmeric powder until its consistency turns into a paste. Apply it onto the toenail. Rinse off thoroughly when it dries and wipe your feet with a clean towel.
4. Listerine mouthwash – Soak your toes in a cup of mouthwash for about 20 minutes. The medicinal properties of the mouthwash are effective in controlling the fungal growth.
5. Apple cider vinegar – Mix an equal proportion of water and natural apple cider vinegar in a small bucket. Soak your feet in bucket for 15 to 20 minutes then wipe your toenails with a clean, dry cloth.
6. Olive oil and oregano essential oil – A blend of these two ingredients make safe home remedies for toenail fungal infection. Add two drops of oregano oil to a teaspoon of olive oil. The mixture is very effective for toenail fungal infection.
7. Vinegar – Fill a small bucket with equal amount of water and vinegar. Soak the feet in the bucket for 20 minutes. Repeat the process twice a day. Make sure to dry the toes well each time.
8. Grapefruit seeds – extract the juice from the seeds of the grapefruit. The antimicrobial properties of the grapefruit can help in treating the toenail infection.
9. Snakeroot leaf – grind or mince the leaves of snakeroots to extract the juice and apply it onto the affected toenail.
10. Coconut oil – dab pure coconut oil to treat toenail fungus infection. Its lauric acid content has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that can kill the toenail fungus.
11. Neem Oil – massage the affected nails with drops of neem oil. The sulphurous compounds in neem oil have medicinal properties that help moisturize and nourish the brittle fingernails.
12. Baking soda – sprinkle adequate amount of baking soda inside the shoes. The high alkaline content of the baking soda can help in balancing the pH level of the feet making them less hospitable to fungus growth.
13. Lemon grass oil – dilute a dozen drops of the lemongrass oil with an ounce of either grapeseed or coconut oil. Make sure to thoroughly wash the hands before massaging the mixture to the affected toenails
14. Sea salt – Fill the basin with warm water and hydrogen peroxide. Tilt the basin and soak the toes where there is enough water to cover them. Remove the toes from the water and pour salt over them for about three minutes. Add one and a half cup of sea salt to the water and put the toes back into it. Keep the toes soaked for half an hour then wipe it dry with a clean towel. Repeat the process each day until the toenail fungal infection is completely gone.