Q: Grandma, We just moved into a house with many spiders crawling all over the place. We tried using several solutions to get rid of them but they did not work. Can you please recommend other ways that are effective and safe to use even inside the house?
A: Dear V, Spiders are common household pests. Although they have useful functions like eating other smaller insects, they are scary arachnids that can induce terror or phobia in some people. Having spiders at home can also be a sign that you need to do some extensive house cleaning by using some safe home remedies to completely eradicate these fearful housemates.
HOME REMEDIES FOR SPIDERS AT HOME
1. Citronella oil – Put five drops of citronella oil in one quart of warm water. Add one teaspoon of lemon dish soap and put in a squirt bottle. Shake well. Spray the mixture all over places infested by the spiders. Spray once a week to prevent the spiders from coming back. Another way is to burn citronella candles in areas populated by spiders.
2. Neem and tree tea oils – Combine one ounce of neem oil and five drops of tree tea oil in one quart of warm water. Add in two tablespoons of dish soap. Use a spray bottle to contain the mixture and shake well. Spray generously on areas inhabited by the eight legged critters. Do the spraying once a week to keep the spiders away.
3. Coconut oil and vinegar – Mix ten drops of coconut oil with some amount of vinegar inside a spray bottle. Squirt the mixture on cobwebs and all over areas where spiders are seen. Avoid spraying on fabrics.
4. Borax – Sprinkle some amount of borax powder around areas populated by spiders at home.
5. Eucalyptus leaves – Place fresh eucalyptus in drawers, closets, ceilings, or other places in the house not only to ward off the spiders, but also to make the house smell good.
6. Tobacco – Put a pack of chewing tobacco in a gallon of boiling water. Allow to cool before straining. Add in ½ cup of lemon dish soup in the tobacco water. Put the mixture in a spray bottle. Shake well before spraying in spider-infested areas.
7. Cloves – Grind whole cloves then add some drops of water to form a paste. Apply the paste in areas usually infested by spiders to eliminate them naturally.
8. Glue traps – Place glue traps in spider hot spots to trap not only these scary critters but also other insects that infest the house.
9. Essential oils – Combine four tablespoons of any essential oils such as peppermint oil, lavender oil, and rose oil with four tablespoons of natural soap. Mix with one quart of water. Put in a spray bottle. Shake well before spraying on areas to kill and ward off spiders at home.
10. Pennyroyal oil – Pour some amount of pennyroyal oil on a cotton balls or scraps of cloth. Insert them in cracks or place them in areas usually inhabited by spiders.