Q: Grandma, I have lots of pimple marks on my face. Previously. I was very fair but due to acne, my color became dark. How can I get back my pimple free and white skin tone?
A: Dear A, Skin discoloration can be caused by various factors such as tanning, vitiligo, psoriasis, aging, birthmarks and acne blemishes. It can cause the skin to exhibit unattractive spots and may becoming a tormenting reason to shun social exposures. Some goes deeper through the skin’s top layer and can be difficult to treat. In cases where pimples are the cause of skin darkening, treating them can be done by the use of home remedies to balance the skin tone and even restore its youthful glow before.
HOME REMEDIES FOR SKIN DISCOLORATION
1. Baking soda – Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with a little amount of water until it becomes a paste. Apply the paste on the dark spot and leave on for a few minutes before washing off with plain water. Repeat the whole process until the alkaline content of the baking soda has removed most of the dead cells.
2. Lemon juice – Slice a lemon and rub the juicy part on the discoloured part before bedtime. If the juice is too strong for the face, dilute with some water before rubbing again. Allow to dry and leave on the face overnight then rinse off with plain water in the morning.
3. Orange peels and milk – Grind dried orange peels into powder. Mix with one cup of milk. Apply the paste on the face and leave on to dry for 30 minutes. Rinse off with plain water.
4. Sour milk – Apply the milk directly on the affected area before retiring to bed. Leave on the face overnight to allow the milk to expoliate the dead skin cells. Wash off with plain water upon waking up in the morning.
5. Potato – Make a paste out of potatoes with their skin. Apply the paste all over the dark patches for overnight drying. Wash off with water in the morning.
6. Oatmeal, tomato juice and curd – Make a paste by combining all three ingredients. Apply on the face and leave on for 20 minutes before rinsing with cold water.
7. Almonds and honey – Grind the almonds and add a little honey. Mix together until a paste-like consistency is achieved. Apply on the affected area and leave on to dry then rinse with plain water.
8. Sandalwood powder, lemon, tomato and cucumber – Mix sandalwood powder with equal amounts of juice extracted from lemon, tomato and cucumber. Apply the paste to treat skin discoloration and leave on the face to dry.
9. Gram flour – Combine two spoonful of gram flour, pinch of turmeric, lemon juice drops and milk cream to form a paste. Apply on the face and leave on to dry before scrubbing off. Repeat the process every day.
10. Strawberry mask – Combine ½ cup of mashed strawberries, preferably fresh, and one tablespoon of plain yogurt or sour cream. Apply generously over the face and leave on for 20 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Refrigerate any leftovers to be used again for the daily facial treatment.
11. Dandelion – Chop fresh dandelion leaves. Combine ¼ cup of chopped dandelion with two tablespoon each of castor oil and sunflower oil. Heat the mixture, but do not bring to a boil. Allow to cool down before straining and pouring the oil into a clean container. Apply the oil daily on the affected spot to naturally fade skin discoloration.