Q:Grandma, my skin is very itchy most of the time. I can relieve the itch but it turned out to be scaly as well. Now, it’s very ugly and I am compelled to wear long sleeves. Please help.
A: Dear P, Some people find themselves suffering from extreme skin disorder called Ichthyosis vulgaris. It is a skin condition characterized not only by skin dryness, but with scaly skin in most parts of the body. It can be painful and uncomfortable, and may even lead to serious infection if not treated immediately. There are quite a number of ways to try in treating the condition at home. The following natural home remedies for scaly skin may help:
NATURAL HOME REMEDIES FOR SCALY SKIN
1. Milk powder, honey and egg yolk – Combine two teaspoons of milk powder with one teaspoon of honey with an egg yolk. Apply the mixture on the affected area every other day for 10 to 15 minutes. Wash off gently with cold water.
2. Avocado, banana and papaya – Mash the fruits together. Apply the pulp on the skin ten minutes before taking a bath every day.
3. Almond oil – Apply the oil on the dry, scaly skin before retiring to bed every night.
4. Water – Soak the affected area in lukewarm water for ten minutes to rehydrate the skin naturally. Banana peel may also be added. 
5. Castor oil – Apply the oil regularly on the skin.
6. Safflower oil – Use a tiny amount first to test for allergic reactions. Continue application if skin reacts positively. Wait for few minutes to allow the skin to absorb the oil before putting on clothes.
7. White or brown sugar – Dampen the body and scrub the skin with one cup of sugar. Massage in circular motion for a few minutes before rinsing thoroughly with water.
8. Olive oil and vitamin E oil – Mix ¼ each of these essential oils and massage over face and neck. For other parts of the body, combine four parts olive oil with one part vitamin E oil. Apply to the skin after bath or shower.
9. Aloe vera – Mix 1/3 cup aloe vera gel with 2/3 cup of distilled water. Place in a clean bottle and refrigerate. Before using, shake the bottle well. Use a cotton ball to dab the mixture on the affected area.
10. Lemon – Slice the lemon in half and rub it on the dry skin.
11. Peanut butter – Massage one or two tablespoons of peanut butter on the affected area. Leave on the skin for 15 minutes before wiping off with a paper towel then rinse off with warm water.
12. Apple cider vinegar – Dilute ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar with ¾ cup of distilled water. Mix well. Use a cotton ball to apply on scaly skin.
13. Petroleum jelly – Apply petroleum jelly on affected area.
14. Moisturizing soap – Use moisturizing soaps during bath or shower. Prefer those that are milk-cream based.
15. Calendula flowers – Melt 8 oz of vegetable shortening and one tablespoon beeswax in a saucepan then add ½ cup of dried calendula petals. Extract the juice from the petals and strain the solution. Place in a glass jar to cool and harden. Apply a generous amount and lather on the scaly skin.
16. Frankincense oil – Add a few drops of frankincense oil to any skin cream or lotion then apply on affected skin area.