Q: Grandma, My son was diagnosed to be suffering from rheumatic fever. What are effective home remedies for rheumatic Fever can you suggest? I don’t have much money to spend on medicines.
A: Dear F, Sadly, rheumatic fever is an inflammatory disease that may develop after an infection from Group A Streptococcus bacteria. The disease can affect the heart, joints, skin, and brain. One of the usual targets of rheumatic fever are children ages 5 -15 years old, and the condition takes place approximately 14-28 days after strep throat or scarlet fever. Typically, symptoms in rheumatic fever includes increase of body temperature, abdominal pain, joint pain, nosebleeds, skin rash, skin nodules, swelling of the joint and such.
With that said, if rheumatic fever is not properly managed, it can progress to more serious health conditions. Luckily, listed below are home remedies for rheumatic fever and these are the following.
HOME REMEDIES FOR RHEUMATIC FEVER
1. Hot and Cold Compress – Hot and cold compresses must be applied several times daily to ease the swelling and pain in the joints. Cold packs must also be applied to the trunk. A cold pack to the throat will also be beneficial. 
2. Almonds – Eat almonds for your daily dose of vitamin E. An immune-strengthening antioxidant that helps you bacteria invasion that causes rheumatic fever.
3. Yogurt – Yogurt seems to have a marked effect on the immune system. It strengthens white blood cells and helps the immune system produce antibodies.
4. Garlic – Eating raw garlic or mixing it with green tea can help reduce rheumatic fever. Garlic is a medicinal herb containing anti-fungal properties which is useful for fighting all kinds of infections and their effects. 
5. Asparagus seeds, Black Cumin, Fenugreek and Ajwain – Mix the 4 ingredients equally into a glass of water and drink it every morning. This will control the swelling of rheumatism and is considered as one of many essential home remedies for rheumatic fever.
6. Omega fatty acids – It help relieve pain and inflammation cause by rheumatic fever. In addition, it allows speedy recovery time. The essential fatty acids are found in fish oil, flax seed, and borage seed.
7. Complete Bed Rest – Complete bed rest prevents exhaustion and also reduces the progression of further inflammation. 
8. Food Rich in Vitamin C – Eat foods that are rich in vitamin C such as orange which can strengthens the body’s immune system to fight the bacteria causing the rheumatic fever.
9. Maintain Healthy Diet – Eat nutritious food such as fish, leafy vegetables and fruits can help fight against rheumatic fever by distributing and absorbing the right nutrients needed by the body. 
10. Echinacea – Take 1 or 2 capsules or tablets up to three times a day. You can also buy dried Echinacea and brew it into a tea. Simmer 1 to 2 teaspoons in 1 cup boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes; drink up to 3 cups a day .Echinacea can boost the body’s immune response to prevent bacteria from progressing into more serious complications. 
11. Water – Drink 8 to 12 glasses of water a day. It helps reduce fever and hydrate the body to prevent from dehydration cause by rheumatic fever.