Q: Grandma, I am suffering from psoriasis.My hands have become so dry that sometimes it bleeds. The cuts have become very painful. I have tried so many medicated creams and remedies like using castor oil and aloe vera. Please help me if you have solution for this.
A: Dear M, Having psoriasis since it can cause embarrassment. It makes your skin appear dry, scaly and red because of the inflammation. Not only are the discomforts irritating, psoriasis flare-ups can make you so self-conscious because of the way it looks. You could not show off your arms or legs and is reluctant to leave home without ample covering. The most frustrating part about psoriasis is that there is no clear fast-acting medication that can treat the skin disorder. At best, psoriasis can only be managed so that the flare-ups will be far between and not severe.
Patients with psoriasis can also suffer from the so called psoriatic arthritis. This is a type of arthritis that has no known cure. There are, however, a number of remedies that can ease the symptoms.
What are among the best ways to manage psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis? Keep the skin heavily moisturized, live a healthy lifestyle, and treat skin breakouts immediately – these are the best ways to manage psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.
HOME REMEDIES FOR PSORIASIS AND PSORIATIC ARTHRITIS
1. Maintain a Healthy weight – Maintaining a healthy weight tends to put less strain on the joints that can lessen pain while increasing energy and mobility. Among the best way to maintain weight is by having a more plant-based diet.
2. Exercise regularly – Exercise and active lifestyle can keep the joints flexible and the muscles strong. Pick those exercises that do not stress the joints such as biking, swimming and walking.
3. Ginger – This is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and can relieve joint pain. There can be some minor side effects. So, it is good to talk to your doctor before resoprting to its use.
4. Turmeric – This is a kitchen spice and ancient herb that has been long used to treat arthritis and other ailments. Cur cumin is its active ingredient that is said to have antioxidant properties. High doses of turmeric can thin blood. So, consult with your doctor especially if you are on blood-thinning medications.
5. Splints – These can help to support the joint position and can improve and relieve both swelling and psoriatic arthritis. However, splints can prevent the use and exercise of the joints. It is best not to use it or use it minimally.
6. Icing – Ice packs on an immobilized, inflamed swollen area can help lessen inflammation. It can also improve the range of motion of the joints.
7. Calcium Supplements – This can foster metabolism of calcium and formation of bone that are important against osteoporosis that is common among people with psoriatic spondylitis. Osteoporosis is a dangerous bone condition because it can cause bone fractures even with minor impacts. Prolonged bed rest is discouraged because regular exercise and activities are important.
8. Watch out the Climate, Sun and Sea – A warm, stable climate is good for people with the condition. In addition, exposure to sea water and sun work to promote a regression of psoriasis.
9. Vinegar Dip – The vinegar has a long history of being used as a disinfectant as well as a remedy to treat minor burns and skin inflammations. It can be used as a soak for affected fingernails and toenail. Pour some in a bowl or cup and dip your nails for a few minutes. You can soak a washcloth on the mixture and applied on the affected skin and joints to ease the discomfort and itching. 
10. Cover-up with plastic wrap – Covering psoriasis lesions can help to work medications into the skin and keep moisturizers in place longer. There are OTC patches available for this purpose, but regular kitchen plastic wrap can work just as well. You can apply the prescribed medication or moisturizer, and then cover up with the wrap. But, don’t keep the wrap too long to prevent the skin from getting soggy. It is best to consult a doctor before this.
11. Warm Olive Oil – Olive oil is good to massage on the scalp to soften and remove the dry skin. Shampoo as usual and rinse thoroughly to remove the olive oil afterwards.