Q: Grandma, Hi. I’m two months pregnant now, I have so many pimples on my face. I don’t know the reason for the same. Can you give me some home remedies to resolve this?
A: Dear S, skin problems are very common during pregnancy. Statistics show that fifty percent of pregnant women can expect to have acne at this time. Unfortunately for some, it can be severe. Acne is primarily caused by your increased hormone levels during the first trimester and this increases your skins’ natural oil production. It can be difficult to manage your acne at this point because you have to be careful in taking any form of medication that can cross your placenta and affect your baby. So here are some safe and effective home remedies for pregnancy skin problems you can try.
HOME REMEDIES FOR PREGNANCY SKIN PROBLEMS
1. Wash daily – Wash yourself twice a day especially after you sweat heavily.
2. Wash gently – Make sure what you are using to cleanse your face are alcohol-free, oil-free and non abrasive.
3. Use your fingertips – Don’t use sponge or washcloth to clean your face. Sometimes these can irritate your skin and may lead to further skin breakouts.
4. Moisturize – Rinse your skin afterwards with lukewarm water, then pat dry gently before applying moisturizer.
5. Do not overcleanse – Overceleansing will only stimulate your oil glands causing more skin problems. 
6. Cocoa butter, vit. E, and almond oil – Stretch marks is also one of the most common skin problems faced by pregnant women. Use these moisturizing substances right at the beginning before they even appear on your skin.
7. Water – This is still one of the most effective home remedies for pregnancy skin problems. Drink lots of water, 8-10 glasses a day if you can. This will help you get soft and supple skin. It will also improve your skins elasticity which will make it hard for marks to form. 
8. Avoid sun exposure – Avoid extreme sun exposure to prevent harmful UV rays from worsening your skin problems.
9. Sunscreen – Do not forget to apply sunscreen before stepping out of the house, this will help you from developing melasma, a discoloration of the skin usually experienced by pregnant moms also during the first trimester. Don’t worry because they will disappear gradually after you give birth. 
10. Citrus – Hyperpigmentation is another issue that can use some helpful home remedies for pregnancy skin problems. Mix some lemon juice with a little honey. Apply to dark spots and rinse. Be careful not to apply these to your eyes or broken skin because it can sting badly.
11. Vinegar – Mix equal parts of water and vinegar. Apply this to your skin and rinse thoroughly afterwards because it has a strong odour that can stick to your skin.
12. Potatoes – Potatoes also has a natural bleaching property. Extract the juice of the potato the way you would any citrus fruit. Apply this on your skin daily. You can see results in about a week to ten days.