Q:Grandma, My right wisdom tooth is very painful especially at night. I took pain killers but that is for temporary relief. Please suggest remedy that will give lasting relief.
A: Dear I, Wisdom teeth are the last set of molars located in the farthest ends of your gums. If these are properly aligned, these are functional teeth and can be useful in grinding food. But, if these are misaligned, these can give you sleepless nights and painful days. Poor alignment can lead to crowding or damaging of adjacent teeth, the nerves and the jawbone. These can also be impacted or partially erupted that result to pain, swelling, infection, stiffness of the jaw and general illness. The best solution is really to see a dentist, but if you are caught by the molar pain when in travel or on a weekend, there are safe home remedies for painful wisdom tooth.
HOME REMEDIES FOR PAINFUL WISDOM TOOTH
1. Ice Pack – For 20 minutes use and stick an ice pack outside your cheek. Or you can get ice cubes and put it inside a cloth. This will reduce swelling and pain to a certain extent. Then, remove for another 20 minutes. Repeat until pain is lessened. 
2. Salt Water – Rinse your mouth with salt water every 2 to 3 hours. Salt water can be created by mixing 1 teaspoon of salt in medium glass sized water. This will also help remove food particles in your mouth.
3. Cigarettes – Do not smoke cigarettes. Smoking decreases blood flow. Henceforth, healing takes longer. Smoking can also lower the immune system and be open to viral attacks.
4. Brush your teeth – Even if the tooth is painful, continue brushing your other tooth and your tongue with a soft-bristle brush.
5. Cloves – Put a clove in your mouth and suck it for 5 to 10 minutes. Cloves are one of the most popular home remedies for painful wisdom tooth. It has anesthetic and anti-inflammatory properties which can help alleviate pain. You can also use clove oil. Apply a few drops on a cotton swab and gently rub on the gum which is causing pain. 
6. Garlic – Get a garlic clove and sprinkle a dash of rock salt. Apply it on your gum or tooth which is causing the pain. Garlic contains anti-bacterial properties that can kill bacteria and prevent the decay of the teeth.
7. Onion – Chop a small amount of onion or crush it to make a paste and apply on the base of tooth or gums. It is also good to chew onion for 3 minutes. Like garlic, onion also contains anti-bacterial properties that can halt the decay of the teeth. 
8. Bayberry and Vinegar – Mix 2 teaspoons of bayberry bark powder and ½ teaspoon of vinegar. Mix it until you get a thick paste and apply it on the gums and teeth to help reduce the pain. Bayberry can be found in specialty stores or herbal stores. 
9. Wheat Grass Juice – Drink wheat grass juice at least twice a day to help alleviate tooth pain. Wheat grass juice contains anti-oxidants that can remove and extract toxins out of the body and delay the growth of the bacteria.
10. Cucumber – Slice a cucumber and place the thick slice on the tooth around 20 to 30 minutes. Cucumber contains vitamins and minerals that can absorb tissues to help reduce pain.
11. Massaging – Massage the gums to alleviate wisdom tooth pain. Massaging can help enhance the circulation of blood and help heal. Don’t apply too much pressure as this may increase the inflammation rather than helping relieve it. This is another example of Home remedies for painful wisdom tooth.
12. Black tea – Drink black tea twice a day. This will soothe your gums this also contains anti-oxidants that can help remove toxins in the body. After drinking take the used tea bag and put it in the gums. This can reduce the pain. Black tea has astringent properties which can help reduce the decrease of swelling.