Q: Grandma,The lesions in my mouth are painful making it hard for me to enjoy food. I have lost appetite and started losing sleep as well. What can I do?
A: Dear S, You must never let your immune system weaken as it can trigger a lot of health problems. One early and common sign of a compromised immune system is the appearance of oral thrush. This infection in the mouth is triggered by the overgrowth of the fungus or yeast that goes by the name Candida albicans. This is the same culprit that causes other infections such as diaper rashes and vaginal (yeast) infections. This is not surprising because C. albicans is a normal flora. The overgrowth happens after use of antibiotics that kill “good” bacteria keeping the growth of C. albicans checked.
This is painful and prevents you from enjoying a meal. If you want to know what home remedies for oral thrush you can use to control the spread and overgrowth of C. albicans, read on:
Home Remedies for Oral Thrush
1. Garlic – This root bulb has been endowed by nature with allicin that is responsible for its numerous healing benefits. Among other things it is also possess anti-fungal property that can kill C. albicans.
2. Onion – This is another root bulb found in almost all kitchens that is a close relative of garlic. Combining the two can generate a very potent solution against oral thrush as it removes the white patches that commonly appear around the affected area.
3. Salt Solution – A half a teaspoon of salt dissolve in water can effectively work as a mouthwash. Do this several times during the day to treat oral thrush.
4. Yogurt – This is a delicious way to treat oral thrush. Regular consumption can prevent the overgrowth of the yeast, but make sure it is unsweetened.
5. Tea Tree Oil – This oil is among the top solutions in treating yeast infection in the mouth. A few drops in a glass of water make a good mouthwash. Do this twice a day.
6. Milk with Turmeric Powder – Before hitting the sack, make it a habit to drink milk with a dash of turmeric powder to prevent the overgrowth of C. albicans.
7. Buttermilk – Consuming buttermilk or applying it on the oral thrush can treat the infection and prevent reoccurrence.
8. Hydrogen Peroxide Solution – Making a 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution with water makes an effective gargle that can kill the yeast just like the “good” bacteria that are known to produce a weak concentration of hydrogen peroxide.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar – This contains natural enzyme that can check the activity and population of the yeast. It also helps in restoring the natural pH of the body to be able to fight back C. albicans. This can be mixed in water and sipped slowly throughout the day. Adding some honey can weaken its strong taste and aroma or using it as an ingredient of the salad dressing is a delicious way of treating the yeast.
10. Good Oral Hygiene – Nothing can replace the good old oral and dental hygiene. You must brush at least twice a day and floss at least once a day. Replace your toothbrush frequently.