Q: Grandma, I am suffering now for having excessive mucus production. It bothers me a lot. I don’t know if I am having any type of throat infection. I heard that tea and lemon juice are great help for people with this kind of condition. Could you give me more idea on how to prevent this?
A: Dear I, excessive production of mucus is not a normal thing. There are some factors you have to consider as to what caused the problem. Excess mucus is sometimes caused by infections in your respiratory system such as cold, bronchitis, and many more. It can also be caused by smoking. If you are a smoker, definitely you have to stop to prevent the worsening of your condition.
You have mentioned about tea and lemon juice as prevention to excessive mucus production. Aside from that, below are some home remedies that might help you in your condition.
HOME REMEDIES FOR MUCUS
1. Ginger and Black Pepper – With 2 to 4 pieces of black pepper, boil ginger in a cup of water for at most 3 minutes. Using strainer, separate the liquid then honey. After doing so, drink it. Perform this at least 3 times a day.
2. Spicy Foods – Chilli peppers and the like which are spicy foods help reduce or prevent the overproduction of mucus. 
3. Humidifier/ Vaporizer – Apply this to part of your house where you spend most of your time. It helps in keeping the air moist inside an enclosed space. 
4. Water – Drinking a lot of water is one of the most important. It keeps your body clean and secrete toxins which can be harmful inside your body. Drink at least 8 glasses a day.
5. Warm Shower – Make the water run behind your head or fill your tub with warm water and lie for a while. This is a great remedy for preventing the overproduction of mucus. 
6. Garlic and Honey – You can have both or the garlic alone. If you choose to just have the garlic, it’s possible to eat it directly or mix it with other food. On the other hand, dice the garlic and combine it with the honey. These two gives dual action since garlic helps in getting rid of the mucus, while honey gives a relief feeling in your throat.
7. Onions and Honey – Onions are usually made into syrup to help mucus be pulled from inside. In making the syrup, slice the onions and put it to a container together with a half cup of honey where it can be boiled. Separate the liquid syrup by using a strainer, and store it in a glass or jar. 
8. Oregano Oil – This remedy for mucus prevention is also used since it contains natural antibiotic and gives off a refreshing feeling from within.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar – Mix a 1/3 of this vinegar to a 2/3 water. Gargle with this new mixture and bend for at least 3 minutes. This method is of great help since the mucus will stick to the mixture of vinegar and water.
10. Lemon Juice and Honey – With 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of honey, mix them carefully. Afterwards, drink it. Do this thrice a day.
11. Water- Lemon Juice- Honey Mixture – Together with a cup of water, combine 1 tablespoon each of pure lemon juice and honey. While boiling, stir well until the honey is already melted. After a while, drink it. Drink this mixture as many as you can per day. This can help you in reducing the overproduction of mucus.