Q: Grandma, are there some home remedies for macular degeneration? My vision has greatly diminished since i started reaching age forty. Would supplements help? Perhaps, there are good home remedies you can share.
A: Dear G, there are two types of macular degeneration. The dry and the wet macular degeneration, the former being the more common between the two. Dry macular degeneration is known by its macular deterioration which happens to be at the center of the retina. Wet macular degeneration on the other hand is differentiated by the blood vessels growing under the retina which leaks blood and fluid. Macular degeneration can cause many problems once your vision gets blurred. You will have trouble doing activities of daily living like reading, driving and even walking. So here are some home remedies you can try.
HOME REMEDIES FOR MACULAR DEGENERATION
1. Fruits and vegetables – Eat lots of fruits and vegetables because these contribute greatly to eye health. The more varied the colors of these fruits and vegetables the better, because this means you are also getting a variety of vitamins. Eat broccoli, spinach and peace because these have increased levels of antioxidants such as zeaxanthin and lutein which is beneficial to people with macular degeneration.
2. Olive oil – Choose healthy oils, those that contain unsaturated fats like the one found in olive oil. This can help in protecting your vision. Avoid unhealthy fats or saturated fats like those found in butter, and packaged foods that contain partially hydrogenated oils.
3. Eat whole grains – Pick whole grains like whole-wheat bread. Avoid white bread since this contains refined grains.
4. Omega-3 – Eat fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids like those found in tuna, salmon and sardines. This can greatly help in reducing your risk for vision loss because of macular degeneration. Nuts and walnuts are also good sources of omega-3 fatty acids. 
5. Vit. C, E, selenium and zinc – Include foods in your diet rich in these antioxidants to help control the free radicals that can cause internal damage.
6. Avoid smoking – Smoking can greatly reduce the effects of multi-vitamins.
7. Avoid caffeine – This can actually worsen your eye condition.
8. Avoid alcohol – Alcohol can damage the cells in your retina.
9. Wear sunglasses – This is one of the most important home remedies for macular degeneration. Protect your eyes from the harsh rays of the sun by shielding it from extreme temperatures. 
10. Exercise regularly – Having a regular exercise regimen and an ideal body weight can help reduce the risks of wet macular degeneration.
11. Use an Amsler grid – This is an instrument provided by ophthalmologists so people with AMD can check their vision right at the comfort of their own homes. Use this as often as your doctor recommends. If you notice the grid change or begin to curve and wave and you feel your eye vision is worsening, consult your doctor. 
12. Bilberry – This is widely known for its natural ability in helping improve vision. Bilberry is commonly found in Europe and has chemicals called anthocyanosides that works in reversing cell damage. However, do not take this is you have diabetes or taking blood thinners because this can counter effects of your medications.