Q: Grandma, I have been suffering from swollen joints for these past few days. Worse, the pain seems unbearable. I need help using home remedies that can alleviate the pain and swelling.
A: Dear L, Basically, joint inflammation is the body’s own way of reacting to certain conditions or diseases. Inflammation is a sign that blood is flowing to the affected area and releasing white blood cells and body chemicals to overcome the underlying condition. Joint inflammation can be due to any of these reasons; resurfacing of old injuries, fractures, bacterial infection, and the most common of all is arthritis. Joint inflammation is commonly accompanied by swelling, redness, stiffness and pain.
HOME REMEDIES FOR JOINT INFLAMMATION
1. Ginger – Eating ginger can ease the inflammation and pain because of its anti-inflammatory properties. Whether you mix it as an ingredient to your soup, salad, sauces or eat it raw. Ginger is one of the most effective home remedies for joint inflammation.
2. Rest – Taking some time to rest especially when the affected part starts to become painful is a proven method to relieve the pain. If the joint in the kneecap is involved, try to find ways to sit-down to avoid further swelling and inflammation that tend to aggravate the affected part.
3. Cayenne Pepper – Mix cayenne pepper with cocoa butter, coconut oil or lanolin and apply directly on the inflamed joint for at least 10-15 minutes. Cayenne pepper is known for its excellent topical potency to decrease joint pain.
4. Dried Stinging Nettles – Combine your regular tea with dried stinging nettles to make a mixture. You can drink the tea or use it as a topical soak for joint inflammation; this has been found to be very effective.
5. Eucalyptus Oil – Start massaging the affected part for 10-30 minutes with eucalyptus oil. It can improve the blood circulation, improve the joint muscles and alleviate symptoms of joint inflammation.
6. Warm and Cold Compress – Make warm and cold compress using heating pad or bottle and apply it on the affected area alternately. Do not forget to place a towel between the compress and the skin. The hot compress relieves the pain and stiffness, while cold compress permits to momentarily numb the painful spots.
7. Water –Drinking the required amount of water or more is an effective home remedy for joint inflammation and it prevents attack of painful episodes.
8. Cherries – Boil the cherries and make a syrup mixture, these results in a sweet beverage. Drink at least a tablespoon when symptoms of joint inflammation began. Cherry is known as a good source of magnesium, which is considered as a painkiller, and potassium that reduces inflammation.
9. Turmeric, Bromelain and Ginger – Combine these three ingredients into hot tea or juice to produce a powerful and effective herbal medicine that works as an anti-inflammatory agent. This can decrease the joint pain. 
10. Celery Seed – Combine the celery seed extract into your drinking water or juice during meal time. The seed of the celery is proven to treat the inflammation in the joint because of its high potassium content.
11. Pectin Grape Juice – Drinking a glass of pectin grape juice can reduce the swelling and stiffness of the joints.