Q: Dear Grandma, I can’t stop scratching my skin which has already caused some holes and wounds. I cannot sleep due to the itching. Please can you help me? I can’t get a full night’s sleep at all. Hope you can help me.
A: Dear D, It is important to find the cause of the itching. If you have pets in the house, find out if they have fleas because that just might be it. Also, think back if you are using a new bath soap or lotion or detergent because it might be an allergy. Meanwhile, try not to scratch or if you must, do it gently so as not to break skin. The last thing you want is to get infected scratches. To help you, here are some home remedies for itchy skin.
HOME REMEDIES FOR ITCHY SKIN AT NIGHT
1. Baking soda – Add a cup of baking soda to a tub of warm bath water and soak in it for 30 minutes. You can also make a paste from 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water and apply this on spots especially at night. This is one of the simplest home remedies for itchy skin at night.
2. Lemon – Cut a lemon in half and squeeze over itchy parts. This is an effective remedy but you cannot use it on broken skin.
3. Dandelion root and thyme – If you have dandelions growing in your yard, don’t just pull them up and discard them. Remove the roots, rinse and dry them, Allow the roots to dry up fully then add about an ounce to a pint of boiling water together with half announce of thyme.
4. Thyme – Make a thyme rinse by placing half an ounce of dried thyme in a pint of boiling water. Cool while covered then strain. Dip a clean cloth into this solution and apply on itchy skin.
5. Sandalwood – Make a paste of sandalwood and oil. Apply this to affected areas.
6. Neem powder – Make a paste of neem powder and oil. Apply this to itchy areas.
7. Linseed oil and lemon – Mix equal parts linseed oil and lemon juice. Gently apply on affected areas. If you do this before going to bed, you will find that this is one of the most effective remedies for itchy skin at night.
8. Lavender, rosemary or chamomile – A few drops of essential oils of lavender, rosemary or chamomile can soothe itchy and inflamed skin. Add to your bath water, soak and relax. 
9. Cool compress – Make a cool compress and apply to itchy skin.
10. Oatmeal bath – Sprinkle the bath water with half a cup of uncooked oatmeal and half a cup of baking soda. If you already have it, a commercially prepared oatmeal bath product will do just as well.
11. Mint – Place 1 ounce of dried mint leaves in 1 pint boiling water. Cool while covered, strain and store in light proof bottle. To use, saturate a wad of cotton and apply to itchy skin. You can do this before sleeping because it is one of the best home remedies for itchy skin at night.
12. Basil – Prepare basil tea by boiling 1 pint of water and putting half an ounce of dried basil. You can splash it on your skin while it is comfortably warm or apply with a piece of cotton on affected areas as often as necessary. Apply before bedtime and you have one of the best home remedies for itchy skin at night. 
13. Juniper berries, cloves, olive oil and beeswax – Melt 2 tablespoons of beeswax. In a separate pan, heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil then add 5 tablespoons ground juniper and 3 tablespoons ground cloves. Mix everything well and apply to itchy skin. The eugenol in cloves and juniper berries will relieve the itching especially if you apply this at night.
14. Witch hazel – clean affected area and dry. Apply witch hazel with a cotton pad.
15. Aloe vera – Cut off the tip of an aloe vera leaf and squeeze till the natural gel-like substance comes out. Rub this on affected areas.