Q: Grandma, I suspect that our family has scabies. We are constantly scratching our forearms and legs. My kids have already some wounds from the itch. We can’t hardly sleep at night. Please recommend quick solutions for my family’s problem.
A: Dear R, It is totally aggravating to have itchy scabies. It is embarrassing when you have to keep scratching and really inconvenient when the itch keeps you from having a restful night’s sleep. There are some home remedies that will help but in the meantime, remember to wash your hands frequently and to sanitize your beddings and clothes so that the eggs of the mite don’t return to their host (which in this case is you). Here are some soothing home remedies that will help you get through your problem with itchy scabies.
HOME REMEDIES FOR ITCHY SCABIES
1. Tea tree oil – Tea tree oil can be quite strong oil should first be diluted in bath water or used as part of a lotion made with neem and turmeric. Add 10 to 20 drops to water or lotion and use this to bathe infected areas.
2. Neem leaves – Boil neem leaves in water and use this to wash body.
3. Aloe vera – Apply topical aloe vera or aloe vera gel on infected areas.
4. Goldenseal – Goldenseal herb (hydrastis canadensis) can be added to cream or lotion and applied on infected areas.
5. Apricot leaves – Extract juice from fresh apricot leaves then apply over the infected area.
6. Garlic, black walnut and wormwood – Each of these can be ground and added to creams and lotions to make home remedies for itchy scabies.
7. Mustard oil, turmeric powder and margosa leaves – Make a paste of these three ingredients and apply all over the body. These are all easily available ingredients for home remedies for itchy scabies.
8. Peepul tree bark – Grind the bark of a peepul tree to a fine powder. Spread this over itchy areas and skin bumps.
9. Sesame oil and drumstick juice – Add to boiling water until fully reduced. Use this to form a paste and apply on infected areas.
10. Sulfur – Add sulfur to coconut cream, add to lotions and creams.
11. Turmeric and neem oil – Make a paste from turmeric and neem oil; apply a thick layer over itchy areas and bumps.
12. Coconut and olive oil – Combine ¾ cup of coconut oil and olive oil; add 5 to 7 drops of tea tree oil and 5 drops of lavender oil. Wipe over itchy areas and bumps.
13. Grape seed oil – Apply pure grape seed oil on all infected areas after bathing.
14. Sulfur soap and shampoo – Use this to wash your hair and your skin. Apply neem oil after.
15. Flower of sulfur and petroleum jelly – Mix 5 per cent sulfur with 95 percent petroleum jelly and apply to the entire body after taking a warm bath. This should be applied by another person in order to cover all areas. Caution: this is one of the home remedies for itchy scabies that is effective but the disadvantage is that clothes and beddings will be stained. Do this for 3 to 5 nights before sleeping.
16. Onion – Onion skin contains quercetin which is relieves itching skin. Boil 6 onions for 15-20 minutes in one quart of water. Apply all over the body when cool.
17. Tansy tea – A strong solution of tansy tea can be used to kill scabies mites.