Q: Dear Grandma, I am struggling with staying focused. In general, after four hours of constant class work, even with breaks, I can’t seem to focus on anything and it gets worse if I force myself to focus.
A: Dear R, It is normal for one to space out and lose focus but when this happens occasionally this is suspicious. Not everyone is born the same. Some have better mental abilities while others have less capacity for focus and mental work. It is also important to provide the brain with enough nourishment to keep it healthy and functioning normally. It is equally important to provide the brain with mental exercises by keeping working and processing. This can help train one’s mind to overcome challenges in order to improve one’s mental capacity.
There are some natural ways to enhance the brain potential. Here are some home remedies for increased mental focus.
HOME REMEDIES FOR INCREASED MENTAL FOCUS
1. Basil – Basil’s essential oil can be used as excellent massage oil. It can calm the nerves and provide a soothing relief. 
2. Bacopa – Ingesting bacopa can help increase concentration by repairing and enhancing the nerve tissues.
3. Club Moss – Huperzine which is found on Club moss is known to show improvement in the cognitive function with patients with vascular dementia.
4. Ginkgo Biloba – Used worldwide to treat memory loss and degenerative brain diseases. Ginkgo biloba has anti-oxidant properties which helps stop brain damage due to age or free radicals.
5. Coenzyme Q10 – This natural home remedies for increased mental focus contains anti-aging effects which is known to be critical in production of cells. This can help treat any abnormalities in the brain such as Alzheimer’s disease. Coenzyme Q10 usually declines with age and is best to be maintained to high levels.
6. Soybeans – Soy beans contain soy lecithin which contains a substance called phospatidyl found in membranes of cells. Taking in soy lecithin can stop brain tissue degeneration, which in turn can improve overall brain function.
7. Sleep – Sleep 8-9 hours a day. If you feel sleepy in the middle of the day, find a way to take a power nap. Just a simple sleep can help your brain improve its focus. To avoid getting sleepy during the day, sleep well at night.
8. Emotions and Stress – When handling certain emotions its best to let it all out. It is best to express yourself without holding anything back. This will help your brain cope with stress.
9. Balanced diet – Having a balanced diet is one the simplest home remedies for increased mental focus. Eat three times a day with green leafy vegetables. And always keep yourself hydrated.
10. Exercise – Exercise regularly to help remove stress in your life. Exercising is known to release endorphins which are released in the brain that helps maintain energy.
11. Omega 3 and 6 – DHA can be found on omega 3’s which is needed for a healthy brain function. Omega 3 can be found from fish oil or flax oil. Additionally Omega 6 is also important. DHA can be found on Omega 6 and is helpful in aiding inflammation and auto-immune disorders.
12. Caffeine – It is proven that caffeine is able to sharpen one’s mental focus. Adenosine is found in everybody’s body. It is what makes the body tired and sleepy. By ingesting at least 3 cups of caffeine a day. This will reduce adenosine and will improve one’s concentration.