Q: Grandma, My skin used to be clear. Now I’m having lot of pimples on my face leaving pimple scars. My skin tone has also changed. So, please help me to get rid of these pimples and their scars. Please tell me how to improve my skin tone.
A: Dear R, There are people who are blessed with good genes and good skin. But, it is important to note that the skin is not only influenced by genetic factors; the environment can equally wreak havoc on the skin – pollution, stress, diet, exercise, sleeplessness. You are lucky to live in a world when there are already too many cosmetic and dermatological solutions to help clear up skin and lighten the skin tone. But, if you want safe and inexpensive solutions, you can also try home remedies for improving skin tone.
Regardless of the products you use and the home remedies you opt for, always remember to use sunscreen. Exposure to sun is the single most damaging factor to skin that can trigger premature aging and darkening of the skin.
HOME REMEDIES FOR IMPROVING SKIN TONE
1. Lemon – Lemon is a natural skin lightener being a powerful bleaching agent. This can also be used to lighten skin blemishes. Cut a lemon into halves; use half of lemon to scrub on your face daily. Try this remedy to get fair skin. 
2. Potato – Squeeze the juice of potato pulp. Apply this on your skin blemishes and in those parts you want to clarify and bleach.
3. Alkaline Scrub – An example of alkaline scrub is baking soda. This works like an exfoliating agent that removes dead surface skin cells that also triggers cell renewal. Baking soda is a safe exfoliant that works without drying or irritating the skin. Make paste by mixing 1 spoon of baking soda with some water. Apply and massage this on to the areas that show uneven skin tone, roughness and dryness. 
4. Olive oil, Almond Oil and Wheat Germ Oil – Blend all these ingredients. Apply and massage on the face and leave it on for about 30 minutes. Remove using a facial tissue and then rinse using a mild soap and warm water. The oil mix can soften and moisturize skin.
5. Yogic Massage – Aside from the yoga asanas (poses) and pramayana (breathing) that help practitioners live with a disciplined and fit life, Yoga practitioners also believe that yogic facial massage can impart great wonders to the skin. It lifts and tones the skin through lightly patting and massaging the muscles in the face. 
6. Scrunching the Face – Alternately scrunching and relaxing the facial muscles and combining this with brisk circles using the pads of the fingers to the face can effectively stimulate the skin. This works like a combineda exercise and massage to the facial muscles that help improve the elasticity of the skin.
7. Avoid Excessive Cleaning of Face – Excessive washing of the face can dry out the skin so that the skin is stimulated to produce more oil or sebum. This increases the likelihood of forming more pimples.
8. Cutting Your Hair Short – Long hairs that touch the face can also irritate the facial skin. Either get your tresses cut or keep it tied away from your face.
9. Ice Cubes – This works like cold compress that relieves swelling and inflammation of pimples and acne. This is one of the best home remedies for improving skin tone. 
10. Cucumber – This cool fruit vegetable can relieve the skin and nourish it to keep the skin smooth and supple. This is a popular ingredient of many cosmetic beauty products.