Q: I want to cure my badly hoarse throat withinh a day as I ve to go to very imporatnt meeting the day after…thanks
A: Dear K, If you’ve got a very important meeting and you got a case of hoarse voice, it is usually due bacteria attacking your vocal chords. This can also be because of stress, insufficient intake of nutrients and water. If not alleviated quickly it could be more than just a symptom. For some people the problem can be persistent. If this is so, it is best to see an EENT (Eyes, Ear, Nose, Throat) specialist because there could be another underlying medical condition
Here are some home remedies for hoarse voice and dry throat.
HOME REMEDIES FOR HOARSE VOICE AND DRY THROAT
1. Rest – It is important to rest if you want to regain your voice. Do not shout or talk excessively. This will give your vocal chords a chance to heal and the hoarseness will probably be gone after a day or two.
2. Cold and allergy medication – Another Home Remedies for Hoarse Voice and Dry Throat is to use an over-the-counter medicine for allergy or the common cold. This may help your regain your voice and soothe the symptom. The reason for this is because hoarseness can be the result of a cold or an allergic reaction. Before ingesting the drugs, consult your doctor or a health care provider.
3. Pollution – Avoid going to dusty and smoky areas such as near a roadway. Or if possible cover your nose and mouth with a clean handkerchief to prevent the pollutants to enter through your body. These areas produce dry air which can aggravate your throat and cause hoarse voice.
4. Talk in a low voice – If you have to use your voice, do so in a low tone. Whispering doesn’t strain the vocal chords and promotes healing. On the other hand, attempting to speak in a normal voice or yelling can cause further injury and prolong the healing process.
5. Water – Keep your throat humid. Throughout the day drink at least 9-10 glasses and if possible, avoid alcohol or caffeine. These beverages help in drying the throat and worsen hoarseness.
6. Medical Checkup – Hoarse voice usually lasts for at least a week if symptom persists, the problem may be more than simple cold or an allergic reaction. In some cases, hoarseness maybe a symptom of an acid reflux or a throat disease. Thus, making it important to create an appointment to a doctor or a health care provider.
7. Eucalyptus oil – Get a few drops of eucalyptus oil and mix with a cup of hot water and inhale the vapor for at least 10 minutes.
8. Acidic voids – Avoid eating acidic foods and if you suddenly suffer an acidic reflux it is best to lie in fowler’s position.
9. Black pepper and milk – Combine some black pepper and a cup of warm milk and drink this for at least twice a day. If the taste doesn’t suit you, you can add a little bit of sugar this Home Remedies for Hoarse Voice and Dry Throat can help your throat moisten and prevent germs from propagating.
10. Turmeric powder – Boil an adequate of amount of water and add a pinch of turmeric powder and breathe in the steam that it emits.
11. Basil- honey tea – Get some fresh leaves of basil and bring it into a boil and 1 tablespoon of honey and mix well. Drink at least 3 to 4 times a day.