Q:Grandma, I have suffer from back and hip pain due to being heavy set. I am trying to lose weight but every time I try to exercise my body feels sore. I need help for body pain and suggestions for weight loss.
A: Dear G, Hip pains have many origins including old age, arthritis, obesity, hip fracture or dislocation. Seeing an orthopedic is the logical action but some home remedies can be applied to relieve the pain or even completely get rid of the bothersome twinges.
HOME REMEDIES FOR HIP PAINS
1. Rest – If the pain is caused by an injury to the hip or nearby area, take some rest to allow the body to recuperate. Avoid putting additional stress or pressure on the hip part to hasten the healing process.
2. Ice – Wrap some ice cubes in a clean towel and apply directly onto the hips for 20 to 30 minutes to numb the pain.
3. Elevation – Prop up the legs to allow the blood to flow freely and to reduce swelling.
4. Heat application – Wait for the swelling to subside before using a heating pad to apply heat directly on the affected area.
5. Exercise – Perform light exercise routines to ease the pain and stiffness. Discontinue if any discomfort or pain is experienced.
6. Compression – Wrap an elastic bandage around the hip and pelvis to protect the area from pressure.
7. Hot bath – Prepare a hot bath, but not so hot to scald your skin. As the water gradually cools down, the body benefits from the heat. The bath soothes the joints and muscles also.
8. Stretch – When exercise is not applicable, try muscle stretching. Do some leg extensions and bending routines at the waist.
9. Lose weight – If hip pains are caused by excess weight, start losing weight by adhering to a balanced diet.
10. Carrots – Consume one carrot a day to counter the pain in the hip joint that may be caused by osteoarthritis or rheumatoid.
11. Apple cider vinegar – Mix two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and one tablespoon of honey. Consume once a day to relieve joint pains.
12. Epsom salts – Sprinkle five spoons of Epsom salt to bath water. Soak the hip area to benefit from the anti-inflammatory action of the magnesium in the Epsom salts.
13. Olive oil – Apply olive oil generously on the affected area before retiring to bed to reduce the pain.
14. Papaya Seeds – Boil the papaya seeds with water and consume the mixture once a day for one month to relieve the hip pains and to improve mobility.
15. Massage – Apply any pain reliever ointment on the muscles around the hip joint. Massage the area every night before retiring to bed and after waking up every morning.
16. Healthy food – Consume healthy foods such as green, leafy vegetables, fruits, whole grain cereal, fish and seeds. Avoid processed foods, red meats, fried foods and hot spices.
17. Supplements – Take supplements to reduce inflammation, pain and stiffness. Supplements can be in the form of fish oils, bromalain, boswella and ginger.