Q: Dear Grandma, Justin has had cystic acne since he was 12 years of age. He is allergic to most meds so Accutane was ruled out. He is now 25 and is still suffering immensely. It is all over his body. Before, I had cystic acne only on my face and it immediately disappeared after giving birth. My mom’s acne disappeared the same way. How can I help him? He refuses to socialize most of the time. He also suffers from Hashimoto’s disease. I fear it is more a hormonal problem for him. He tried laser, but it was too painful for him to endure. Please help!!
A: Dear J, Cystic acne, also referred to as nodulocystic acne is the worst type of acne vulgaris that you can ever imagine. The inflammation, the breakouts and the resulting unsightly scars and blemishes can really leave the affected one suffering from physical, emotional and psychological trauma.
Can it be hormonal? There is a big chance, it is hormonal. The fact that Justine suffers too from Hashimoto’s disease strongly suggests a problem with the hormones.
Hashimoto’s disease is a disorder affecting the thyroid gland that is a part of the endocrine system that produces the hormones. Hashimoto’s disease is an autoimmune disease. This means that your immune system is attacking your thyroid gland. There are already a lot of reported cases of people suffering from this disorder who also suffer from cystic acne. Thus, the cystic acne in Justine’s case can really be caused by hormonal imbalance.
Autoimmune diseases like Hasimoto’s disease are generally untreatable. If it is indeed hormonal, you must consult an endocrinologist for a possible hormonal replacement therapy (HRT). For the management of the signs and symptoms as well as boost the immune system, there are home remedies for Hashimoto’s disease. Here are some of these management solutions.
HOME REMEDIES FOR HASHIMOTO’S DISEASE
1. Exercise – It is important to exercise daily. Exercising will help you feel warmer and it can help reduce stress. Additionally, this will make your thyroids stronger. 
2. Reishi mushroom extract – Take about one gram a day. This home remedies for Hashimoto’s disease is great for boosting the immune system.
3. Ginger and Yarrow – Add these herbs on your daily diet, this will effectively cleanse your body is mostly done in the treatment of Autoimmune diseases.
4. Yucca – Yucca can help aid in reducing muscle pains and skin disorders which is caused by autoimmune diseases.
5. Milk Thistle – Also known as Holy Thistle, This home remedies for Hashimoto’s disease is used to detoxify the body. Drinking this cleanses the liver. It is important to always keep the body detoxified to keep the condition under control.
6. Proper Diet – Having a balance diet can help you control your condition. One is advised to eat food rich in protein, zinc, iron and magnesium to reduce the risk of inflammation of the thyroid gland.
7. Sleep – It is important to sleep 7-8 hours a day to rejuvenate and improve your body condition. A good night sleep is a core factor in stopping Hashimoto’s disease in its tracks.
8. Coconut Oil – Include coconut oil in your daily diet, this will help in improving the general function of the thyroid gland. 
9. Myrtle essential Oil – This is best when applied on the affected area and massaged. This will cure Hashimoto’s disease and hypothyroidism.
10. Selenium – Selenium is a trace mineral that is needed in order for our bodies to produce anti-oxidants, this works well with vitamin E and can be used to aid hypothyroidism. Selenium can be found on oats, brans and whole wheat bread.
11. Bacpa monnieri – This plant naturally grows in Asia and is known to help stimulate the thyroid functions. This also helps improve mind and enhance awareness.
12. Iodine – Iodine is known to be associated with the thyroid. Having it too low can cause low thyroid levels. It is not wise to eat intake lots of Iodine. This can also cause hypothyroidism.
13. Vitamin A – Some studies show that people that have hypothyroidism have a lesser ability to create and convert beta-carotene to Vitamin A. It is suggested to take Vitamin A supplements or eat food that contains lots of It.