Q: Grandma, my dog’s hair looks like a part of it has been shaved. My pet used to have healthy fur which makes his condition very disturbing. Is there any advice you can share?
A: Dear S, Hair loss symptoms in dogs can be the result of several medical conditions. This can include mites, ticks, mange, or dermatitis. They can also be accompanied by other symptoms like itching, skin irritation, chewing and biting on spots. There are lots of helpful home remedies you can try, but for an accurate diagnosis it is still best to see your dog’s veterinarian.
For your pet’s emporary relief try these home remedies for hair loss in dogs.
EFFECTIVE HOME REMEDIES FOR HAIR LOSS IN DOGS
1. Homemade food substitutes – Hair loss in dogs can be triggered by allergies. May it be to dog food, shampoo, flea or dust mites. So if you suspect it’s food allergy, make sure the dry dog food is out of its sight. Substitute it with homemade cooked rice, vegetables and some boiled chicken breast. This is called a bland diet and can even be pureed to achieve a finer texture. Feed this to your dog for a couple of days. If symptoms persist, consult his veterinarian.
2. Benadryl – Benadryl is a common human antihistamine which can be given to dogs suffering from allergic reactions.
3. Apple cider vinegar – It has antibacterial and antifungal properties and also boosts the immune system. This makes makes apple cider vinegar one the effective home remedies for hair loss in dogs. You can even apply this directly to the affected area. Dip a cotton ball into diluted parts of apple cider and water. Gently pat it to the area and allow it to dry. For an antifungal bath, apply undiluted apple cider vinegar but rinse it thoroughly afterwards. Make sure it does not get into your dogs’ eyes because it can sting badly. 
4. Goldenseal – This is an essential oil which is an effective home remedy for dogs’ hair loss. Remember though that this is a potent herb so do not overuse it. It is also best to consult your vet first before application.
5. Flaxseed oil – Flaxseed oil is another home remedy for hair shedding in pet dogs. Put a small amount over your dogs’ food and in a few weeks notice the positive change it makes.
6. Olive oil – This not only benefits humans but also is one of the great home remedies for hair loss in dogs. It also greatly relieves itching. Simply rub a small amount in the palm of your hand and give your dog a gentle body massage. It will also give your dogs’ coat a tremendous shine. 
7. Melatonin therapy – Melatonin is a hormone secreted by the pituitary gland and is also used by veterinary medicine as natural treatment for hair loss in dogs. Treatment response time is usually six weeks up to four months for significant improvement in a dogs’ coat. Consult your doctor for the exact dosage to be given. 
8. Aloe vera – This is another great remedy to sooth the skin and avoid further hair loss due to itching. 
9. Supplements – Omega 3 and fatty acids can be very beneficial to hair coat and skin. This will help your dog avoid skin problems that can trigger hair loss.