Q: Grandma, please suggest home remedies for my hacking cough that feels terrible. It has caused me sleepless nights and loss of productivity.
A: Dear E, Hacking cough is considered as a nonproductive cough. It is very unpleasant or uncomfortable due to the spasms it creates. Likewise, it is often accompanied by fever or cold. There are some factors that cause hacking cough like asthma or other respiratory problems. Nonetheless, have hope as there are natural solutions for this dilemma.
HOME REMEDIES FOR HACKING COUGH
1. Garlic and Honey – Combine garlic and honey to use as a home remedy for a hacking cough. To create the mixture, you will need 3-4 cloves garlic peeled and chopped into tiny pieces, mix the chopped garlic and stir the mixture. Allow it to sit overnight and store in a clean empty bottle. Take 1 teaspoon of the mixture of honey and garlic at least twice a day.
2. Drink Fluids – Drink enough fluid to moisturize the bronchus allowing the expulsion of mucous easily. Plain water or warm water is the ideal drink that works best. Prevent drinking alcoholic and caffeinated beverages because these drinks are diuretics; these stimulate fluid excretion through urination.
3. Grape Juice and Orange Juice – Drink these beverages because these help with the symptoms of hacking cough which include dry and painful bronchial linings. This is particularly preferred as a home remedy for children.
4. Sage Leaves and Elder Blossom Tea – Gargle using a solution that has sage leaves and elder blossom with a teaspoon of honey, clove oil and almond oil to relieve hacking cough and ease the throat.
5. Humidity – Take a steam bath, this humidifies the body since steam bath increases moisture in the air, this aids to loosen the mucous caused by the hacking cough making it easier to expel.
6. Salt – Combine salt with water and then gargle for at least 30-60 seconds. This can help soothe the throat. This is effective when the water used is lukewarm since this assists in removing the mucous.
7. Eating Spicy Foods – Eating horse radish, hot chili peppers or other spicy foods can assist in expelling the mucous caused by the cough, this is a remedy that some people actually prefer as home remedies for a hacking cough.
8. Onion Juice – Drinking onion juice can help soothe the throat. 3-4 teaspoons of onion zest can be taken. This is done by chopping the onion into small pieces and adding warm water with small amounts of sugar or honey to taste. Remember the chopped onion must be strained before drinking the onion juice.
9. Slippery Elm – Drink a glass of herbal tea produced from slippery elm every 4-6 hours. This can facilitate suppression the hacking cough and have easing effect towards the throat.
10. Marshmallow Root, Wild Cherry Bark, and Mullein – Drinking tea with the combination of these three components are said to be one of the best home remedies for hacking cough that have been proven to be effective in soothing the throat.
11. Inhale Steam – Inhale the steam from a clean bowl, bath tub, or at the sink while draping a towel over your head for at least 5-10 minutes every couple of hours done throughout the day. It is a simple yet effective home remedy for hacking cough and can loosen the accumulated mucous in the lungs.