Q: Grandma, My hair is always frizzy; at certain times, it can also get greasy and oily. I don’t know what to do about it.
A: Dear J, It is very normal nowadays for people to have oily hair. Most of the time greasy hair is due to the heat waves and sweating triggered by the sun. Human bodies react to the heat by secreting oil to prevent the hair from drying. Here are some important home remedies to help your hair from producing too much oil that can give you a bad hair day.
Home Remedies for Greasy Hair
1. Lemon – Slice the lemon in half and remove the seeds. Comb your hair and part it into two, make sure that your scalp can be seen. Use the lemon and squeeze all the juice over your scalp and massage using your hands and not your nails. Leave it around for 30-40 minutes then wash hair using lukewarm water. 
2. Fuller’s Earth – This clay mineral is used mostly against treating oily skin and acne. However, it also has it uses especially when getting rid of excess oil from the hair. If you have a medium length hair, add 3 to 4 tablespoon of fuller’s earth and add a little water to turn it into a paste. Apply the paste on your scalp and leave it on for around 15 minutes. Rinse using cold water. While rinsing massage the scalp well. Do this treatment at least twice a week to prevent oil buildup.
3. Baking Soda – Baking Soda has powerful absorption qualities that cannot be overlooked. That’s why it’s a very helpful as a face wash especially for oily skin. Baking soda, startlingly as it sounds, can be used to treat oily hair too. Take 3 teaspoons of baking soda add a little water to make a paste like substance. And massage this on top of scalp. Wash your hair using cold water or shampoo.
4. White Vinegar – White vinegar contains acetic acid which is essential in fighting oil from the scalp and hair. Combine a mixture of one cup of white vinegar and one half cup of water. Apply the vinegar in the affected area and allow the hair to dry. Naturally, white vinegar has a distinct sour smell, so it is advisable to add a few drops of lavender essential oil in the mix for fragrance.
5. Tomato Juice and Fuller’s earth – Tomato juice and Fuller’s earth are effective home remedies for greasy hair when mixed. Take a fresh tomato and mash it to a pulp. Mix in some fuller’s earth. Apply the tomato paste on the hair and scalp. Leave it for 30 minutes. Then rinse using cold water. Massaging the scalp can help remove the tomato juice faster and can provide good hair follicle stimulation.
6. Malt Vinegar – Malt Vinegar is nearly the same with white vinegar it also effectually removes hair oil and dirt. Take half a cup of malt vinegar and add a pinch of salt or baking soda into the mix. Massage the solution on the scalp and hair for 5-10 minutes. Leave for 15 minutes and then wash the solution off using cold water. Repeat every day until hair is not oily.
7. Egg yolk and honey – For centuries the people of Europe has been using this method to prevent oily hair and hair loss. It also has an astonishing regenerating effect on your hair. Get 1 -2 eggs depending on your hair length separate the whites and yolks. Mix 2 teaspoons of honey with the egg yolks and mix. Apply on your hair and leave it on for 30-40 minutes and rinse thoroughly. Also take note, not to use conditioner. Repeat once a week for a few months. This method nourishes your hair and prevents your hair from producing more oil. Such method as this is another home remedies for greasy hair.