Q: Grandma, I am a 10th grader and I used to have thick hair. People around me envy my beautiful hair but it has become thinner lately. Every time I comb my hair, lots of hair strands fall off. I’ve also been in a lot of stress lately. Any advice would be helpful.
A: Dear S, Hair fall, as the name suggests, is characterized by the loss of hair in great quantity. The condition may be noticeable when more hair are getting stuck in the brush or comb while the hair on the head thins. There are many possible causes for hair loss to occur on a 10th grader like you, including poor diet, hereditary factor, hormonal changes, and as you suspected, stress. There are many ways to treat falling hair due to stress, including some natural home remedies that you can easily apply on your own.
HOME REMEDIES FOR FALLING HAIR CAUSED BY STRESS
1. Stress reduction exercise – Perform regular exercise to increase endorphins to improve the general well-being. Learn how to take deep breaths properly by inhaling through the nose for four seconds and holding the breath before exhaling through the mouth.
2. Warm bath – Relax the body with a warm bath before going to bed. The soothing sensation of the water helps the muscle to relax and ease down the stress.
3. Supplemental vitamins – Take 30 mg of zinc and 200 micrograms of selenium every day to help the body absorb more iron and protein, two important nutrients for hair production.
4. Coconut milk – Regularly massage the scalp with hot oil treatment. Warm the oil to a degree that is not too hot to handle and massage all over the scalp. Other oils such as jojoba, almond and emu can also be used when coconut oil is not available.
5. Indian gooseberry oil – Combine equal amount of Indian gooseberry and coconut oil with a tablespoon of lemon juice. Use the mixture as overnight scalp treatment. Rinse off with water thoroughly.
6. Neem leaves – Prepare a decoction from neem leaves. Wash the hair with decoction to cure falling hair due to stress.
7. Apple cider vinegar – Apply the cider vinegar on the scalp for 15 minutes. The solution can help in balancing the acid-alkaline level and in preventing the occurrence of falling hair.
8. Wheat grass juice – Wash the hair regularly with wheat grass juice once every 45 days to reduce the falling hair syndrome.
9. Henna leaves – Boil 60 grams of henna leaves in 259 ml of mustard oil. Allow to cool before straining. Massage the scalp with the solution to stimulate hair growth.
10. Cinnamon powder – Mix some amount of cinnamon powder, olive oil and honey. Apply the paste on the scalp and leave on for 15 minutes before washing the hair with a mild shampoo.
11. Amla – Boil some pieces of amla with coconut oil. Apply the oil on the scalp every day to prevent falling hair due to stress.
12. Fenugreek seeds – Soak fenugreek seeds in water overnight. The next day, grind the seeds until a paste consistency is achieved. Add some amount of coconut milk and apply vigorously on the scalp and hair. Leave on for 20 minutes before rinsing off with lukewarm water.
13. Lettuce – Mix equal amount of lettuce and spinach juice. Drink half liter of this mixture every day to stop hair loss.
14. Coriander leaves – Make a paste from fresh coriander leaves and use it to massage the scalp and prevent falling hair due to stress.