Q: Grandma, are there ways how to fade light stretch marks?
A: Dear R, Stretch marks are formed when the dermis has been stretched for a considerable period of time causing damage to the connective tissue. They normally occur when the body grows rapidly like during pregnancy or quick weight loss. They usually appear in parts where the body stores more fat. There are a number of home remedies that can help in fading light stretch marks found in the body.
HOME REMEDIES FOR FADING LIGHT STRETCH MARKS
1. Potato – Cut a thick slice from a medium-sized potato and gently rub it on the affected area. Make sure the potato juice is drenched on the skin. Allow the juice to dry before cleansing the skin with lukewarm water.
2. White sugar – Add a few drops of almond oil and lemon juice to a tablespoon of natural white sugar. Mix thoroughly and apply on the area with stretch marks. Gently rub the skin several times before bath time. Perform the routine until the marks become light.
3. Aloe vera – Rub aloe vera directly on the area and let dry on the skin for a few minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water. Another method is to combine oil from 10 capsules each of vitamins A and E in ¼ cup of aloe vera gel. Use this mixture to daily rub the skin until it fully absorbs the essential nutrients and compounds.
4. Lemon – Extract juice from fresh lemon and gently rub the affected area in circular motions. Let the skin absorb the juice before washing off with warm water. Another way is to mix the juice with equal parts of cucumber juice to be applied as a remedy for fading light stretch marks.
5. Egg whites – Beat two egg whites. Using a makeup brush, apply a thick coat over the affected area. Wait for the egg whites to completely dry before rinsing with cold water. Apply olive oil to moisturize the skin. Make this a daily routine for at least two weeks to achieve the best result.
6. Baking powder – Mix a tablespoon of baking powder with water to form a paste. Use the paste to gently rub the area with stretch marks to exfoliate the skin.
7. Oatmeal – Mix two tablespoons of oatmeal with ½ glass of water. Use the mixture to massage the skin several times during the day.
8. Olive oil – Every night, before retiring to bed, massage the affected area with olive oil. Leave the oil on for the skin to absorb it overnight.
9. Vicks VaporRub – Dab Vicks onto the stretch marks. Alternatively, combine Vicks with lemon juice and aloe vera gel. Place in the microwave to heat for five seconds. Apply on the stretch marks for ten minutes before rinsing off. Rub with cocoa butter stick afterwards.
10. Essential oils – Mix seven drops of lavender and five drops of chamomile oil with an ounce of carrier oil (jojoba or sweet almond). Apply the mixture on the area with stretch marks.
11. Calendula oil – Apply calendula oil directly as remedy for fading light stretch marks. Gently massage the area as often as desired to benefit from the oil’s medicinal properties.