Q: Grandma, I have electrolyte imbalance and it makes me feel weak and dizzy all the time. Please give me some remedies because I haven’t been very productive lately. I can’t even attend to simple cleaning chores.
A:Dear P, I am assuming that your problem is case of having low level of electrolytes. It is true that electrolyte imbalance is a very distressing problem and often it is hard to even concentrate on things. However, it is a condition that has to be corrected safely and gradually. In the meantime, avoid excessive physical activities which will further drain the body of electrolytes. There are quite a few home remedies for electrolyte imbalance so you can try them but do so gradually.
HOME REMEDIES FOR ELECTROLYTE IMBALANCE
1. Fruits and vegetables – Eat at least 5 cups of fruits and vegetables daily.’\
2. Epsom – Put two cups of Epsom salt in a tub of warm water and soak in it for 30 minutes. Do this twice a week. The Epsom salt in the bath helps the minerals to be absorbed into your body directly.
3. Water and salt – Drink plenty of water – at least eight glasses – daily. Add half a teaspoon of salt to each glass fo a bit more sodium. It is important to keep hydrated especially if you work out.
4. The ten-minute rule – After a heavy work out or any strenuous activity, wait for 10 minutes before drinking water to make sure your body has cooled down and you won’t lose the electrolytes you drank through sweat.
5. Lime and baking soda – Take the juice of one whole lime and add baking soda . Let stay in a glass until the fizz stops, then add water to make a whole glass. Drink this 3 times a day.
6. Potatoes, bananas, avocados – Eat more potatoes, bananas or avocados to get more potassium. These are effective home remedies for electrolyte imbalance that bring your electrolyte levels up gradually.
7. Celery – Eat a cup of celery daily to boost your sodium level. Better yet, fill up 3 stalks with cottage cheese and use this as your snack for the day.
8. Yogurt and low-fat cottage cheese – Yogurt and low-fat cottage cheese wil help bring your calcium levels up.
9. Pedialyte – Take a cup of pedialyte ( electrolyte replacement drink for infants) three times a day. If there is an infant in your house this will be one of the most familiar home remedies for electrolyte imbalance.
10. Chicken noodle soup – Eat canned chicken noodle soup to help restore sodium levels.
11. Spinach and kale – Eat at least 2 cups of dark, leafy green vegetables like spinach and kale daily – apart from other fruits and vegetables.
12. Peanuts – To increase potassium levels, snack on peanuts frequently.
13. Orange juice, raisins and trail mix – Using orange juice, raisins and trail mix as snacks will help bring potassium and sodium levels up. These are delicious home remedies for electrolyte imbalance.
14. Soybeans, nuts and pumpkin seeds – Take generous servings of soybeans, nuts and pumpkin seeds. These give you lots of magnesium.