Mustaches are generally reserved for the upper lip of a man, but for women, some may experience a little hair growth that has their skin looking darker than usual. It’s not just a little peach fuzz that can make the upper lip of a woman appear darker. Hormones can cause darkening of the skin and sun exposure brings shadows too. Home remedies for a dark upper lip can help offset some of these changes in your appearance.
Table of Contents
Causes of Dark Upper Lip
When your upper lip appears darker than usual, one of the following causes could be found behind the changing color or appearance of your skin:
• Pregnancy – According to the American Academy of Dermatology, 70% of expectant women experience what is known as the ‘mask of pregnancy.’ Darker pigmentation occurs on the skin of the face around the upper lip, cheeks, nose and forehead . This condition takes place when the pregnancy causes the release of hormones.
• Hormone Replacement Therapy – Discoloration of the upper lip may happen when a woman takes hormonal replacement therapy drugs, which causes hormonal changes in the body.
• Birth Control – Since birth control affects hormone levels, discoloration of the upper lip can occur. Some women will switch their birth control method to avoid hyper-pigmentation.
• Medical Conditions – There are some medical conditions that cause skin on the face (including the upper lip) to experience darkened pigmentation or dark hair growth. An example includes polycystic ovary syndrome, which causes accelerated facial hair growth in women.
• Overexposure to Sunlight – Spending too much time in the sun can darken the skin above the lip.
• Hair Growth – All women have hair on their face – even if it is faint and not noticeable. However, as some women age, they may experience hair growth that darkens – especially if they possess a genetic makeup that is prone to growing dark-colored hair.
• Lifestyle Habits – Women who drink alcohol or smoke tobacco products can cause a reaction that makes the upper lip appear darker. Darkening of the upper lip may also take place in those who drink a lot of coffee, tea, and/or red wine.
Dark Upper Lip Home Remedies
The upper lip can appear darker than the rest of the face because of many different reasons. If you are dealing with unwanted hair or a dark shadow, the following home remedies for a dark upper lip can help:
a) Lemon Juice:
When your darkened upper lip is a result of unwanted hairs growing in the region, you can use lemon juice as a natural bleaching agent. Treat darkened upper lips by making hair appear a few shades lighter by applying a small amount. Let it sit for 15 minutes before removing with warm water. Lime juice can be used if you do not have access to lemon juice.
b) Lemon Juice and Honey:
Add a small amount of lemon juice to an equal amount of honey to help reduce the appearance of blemishes and scars that could darken the skin of the upper lip. Apply the mixture directly to your upper lip. Wait 15 minutes before washing off with warm water.
When darker pigmentation develops on the upper lip, use cucumber juice as a soothing treatment that helps lighten the skin. For the best results, try combining the cucumber juice and a small amount of lime juice. Directly apply the liquid to dark areas of the upper lip, and leave on for 15 minutes before gently rinsing off with water.
Using sunscreen can help protect the skin from the damaging rays of the sun that can darken upper lip skin. Choose a sunscreen with a SPF of at least 30 for your face. Wear it every day. The best selections contain zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as ingredients.
Add one cup of cilantro to a blender with a small amount of water. Blend the contents and then strain the juice using a fine sieve. Before going to bed, dip a cotton ball in the juice and spread across your upper lip. Store the remaining juice in a glass container and continue the treatment for about 15 days.
Gram flour, which is made from chickpeas, can be used as an ingredient in a facial mask that can lighten the skin above the upper lip. To make the remedy, add a pinch of turmeric, a couple drops of lemon juice, and a few drops of dairy cream. Combine all of the ingredients and put on your face. Allow the mask to dry, and then rinse off with water. Natural bleaching abilities are found in the gram flour, lemon juice and turmeric, while your skin is left smooth by the dairy cream.
g) Wear a Hat:
Overexposure to the sun can cause hyper-pigmentation to the skin, which can worsen a dark upper lip. When outside, protect yourself by wearing a hat with a wide brim on a sunny day.
h) Block the Rays:
Keep the rays of the sun from causing further darkening of the upper lip by shading your face when spending time out in the sun. Use a parasol or umbrella to protect your skin. ?
Some people have lightened a dark upper lip by applying a carrot solution to their skin. To make, blend two cups of grated carrots in a blender. Strain the contents using a fine sieve to retain the juice. Next, dip a cotton ball into the juice and spread the liquid over the lip on a daily basis. Let the juice naturally dry on your lips. Store the remaining carrot juice in a glass container stored in the refrigerator.
j) Shea Butter:
Right before going to bed, apply a layer of shea butter over your upper lip every night to retain moisture.
k) Lip Balm:
If you do not have access to shea butter, you can rub a lip balm with shea butter over the darkened lip area.
😉 Curb Your Vices:
Since coffee, tea, red wine and smoking cigarettes can cause an upper lip to darken, you may want to curb your habit or put an end to these vices.
Lighten a darkened upper lip by grinding cleaned coriander leaves in a blender with a small amount of water. Separate the liquid from the solid contents using a sieve. Before going to bed, apply the juice to your upper lip for a minimum time period of 15 days. Not only should the coriander treat darkened skin above the lip, but also address dullness.