Q:Grandma,the skin around my nails crack so deeply making the cracks bleed. I have tried everything except natural remedies that could work. I have no allergies so I’m willing to try new solutions. I need your advice.
A: Dear M, Having cracked skin around your nails can be quite annoying but there are home remedies for cracked skin around the nails considered safe and natural. These are quite simple to prepare so you will be able to try them soon. You should see some improvement in a week or so. Just remember that cracked skin usually means dry skin so find something among the remedies to keep your fingers moisturized.
HOME REMEDIES FOR CRACKED SKIN AROUND THE NAILS
1. Petroleum jelly – It will help to alleviate the cracks around the nails of your fingers and toes. The moisture in petroleum jelly will slowly absorb into your skin and not evaporate quickly like water might.
2. Olive oil – Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a bowl of warm water and soak hands. When the skin feels soft, trim off extra skin which can be pulled off accidentally.
3. Vaseline- Apply Vaseline on the cracked skin around your fingernails and then put a band aid around the cracked skin at night. It instantly makes the open ‘cut’ feel better and it also promotes healing.
4. Goat’s milk soap – Instead the soap you are currently using, try goat’s milk soap. After a few days the cracked skin will start to heal. Before sleeping, apply very emollient cream and wear cotton gloves at night.
5. Olive oil and Epsom salts- Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the palm of your hand then add 1 tablespoon of salt. Rub hands together, and then massage cuticles and backs of hands for 5-10 minutes. The olive oil will soften the skin of your hands and the salt will take away rough skin. This will exfoliate and promote healing of cracked, tender skin around nails. A clove of garlic – Rub a clove of garlic on cracked skin and nails occasionally followed by a bit of olive oil – especially after doing dishes.
6. Garlic – Pull out a clove and dig your nails into it for a few minutes then wash your hands. This may be stinky but works.
7. Sugar and baby oil – Rub your hands, fingers and cuticles with sugar and baby oil and you’ll have a perfect manicure.
8. Vitamin E oil – It will help heal dry skin and will moisturize the skin around your nails.
9. Almond oil – Apply a thin coat of almond oil right before you sleep and when you wake up. Do this also after each time you wash the dishes.
10. Banana – Take a ripe banana and mash it into a paste. Rub it into the dry skin and let it soak in before gently rinsing it with warm (not hot) water. This is one of the soothing home remedies for cracked skin around the nails which can be used in patches of dry skin as well.
11. Egg yolk, rose water and lime juice – Create another natural moisturizing paste with an egg yolk, some rose water and lime juice then add 1 tsp. each of olive oil and orange juice. Mix it into a paste and apply it to the dry skin, letting it soak for about 15 minutes.
12. Honey and oatmeal – Another mixture to make includes 1 tsp. each of honey and oatmeal which should soak into the skin for between 15 and 20 minutes.
13. Cocoa butter and coconut oil – Cocoa butter mixed coconut oil mixed makes a cream that soothes and heals cracked skin due to sun damage.
14. Beeswax, Lanolin and Caster Oil – Gently melt together equal amounts of beeswax, lanolin and caster oil in a heat safe container. Let mixture cool and apply to cracked skin.