Q: Grandma, I have had a cold sore since the start of this year. I have tried all OTC remedies and the prescription Zovirax but nothing works. I’d be very thankful if you can share effective remedies that can help me now.
A: Dear G, Cold sores are painful blisters which are triggered by certain strains of the herpes virus. This can attack your skin and appear quickly. These can prove to be quite bothersome and painful. There is no need to suffer from the sores because there are home remedies that can provide some relief.
There are lots of ways to treat this, but these home remedies for cold sore relief are safe and easy to do.
HOME REMEDIES FOR COLD SORE
1. Ice – Rub the ice on the affected area for a few minutes. Do this every hour. Ice is one of the easiest and basic ways to relieve a cold sore. 
2. Tea Bag – Press a tea bag on the blisters for a few minutes, it is also viable to use a warm tea bag. Repeat every hour.
3. Whole Milk – Use a clean cloth and soak it with a glass of warm milk and compress on the cold sore. Additionally, you can use the milk as a bath. Submerge the affected area in milk. This will speed up the healing process and can help ease the pain. 
4. Aloe Vera – Rub the aloe juice or a crushed Aloe Vera on the cold sore to help aid the pain. It is also possible to use prepared aloe instead of natural Aloe Vera.
5. Lemon Balm – Apply some lemon balm on the affected area. Lemon balm contains antiviral properties. This can promote the healing of blisters and can cut the healing time in half. This can also help discontinue any reoccurrences. 
6. Peppermint Oil – Rub a small amount of peppermint oil in the affected part of the skin. Peppermint oil is found out to have essential oils which penetrate the skin and have dangerous effect on the simplex virus. The said oil is also said to be powerful enough to have a dangerous effect on a resistant-strain of the said simplex virus. This study might be promising but it is still under testing and should be handled with care if done. Additionally, peppermint oil must not be ingested.
7. Vitamin C – Ingest lots of vitamin C through eating foods that are rich in the said vitamin. It is also recommended to ingest vitamin c supplements. Additionally you can crush a tablet and add a few drops of water to make it into a paste like substance and rub on area. 
8. Baking Soda – Add a few drops of water on the baking soda to produce a paste, Rub on the affected area. Leave this for at least 10 minutes and rinse off. Baking soda has been known to contain antibacterial properties since the old times.
9. Tea Tree Oil, Herbal Sage and Violet – Known to be one of the most useful home remedies for cold sore relief. Mix tea tree oil, violet and herbal sage and ginger powder and put in a cup of boiling water. Drink this for 2-3 times daily. Within a couple of days your cold sore will disappear. 
10. Carbolic Acid and Coconut Oil – Mix a 100ml of coconut oil with 3ml of carbolic acid. Rub or let it sit on the affected area. Do this twice a day. This is also useful against mosquito bites. This another good example of home remedies for cold sore relief.