Q: Grandma, My hands are getting wrinkles and have brown spots. What can I do or use to make them look better?
A: Dear C, Having wrinkles and brown spots on your hands are typically known as age spots. These spots appear on areas often exposed to sunlight. Usually, these spots appear when a person is in mid-life. Yet, it can occur to younger people who always stay under the sun. These are actually harmless spots that you can lighten up by following these remedies.
HOME REMEDIES FOR BROWN SPOTS
1. Exfoliate – These brown spots are mostly hyperpigmentation (also known as solar lentigos) due to sun exposure. Try to exfoliate by applying a mixture of sugar crystals with olive oil or baby oil and rub gently until the sugar dissolves completely. Rinse well and pat dry. Do this once a week.
2. Plain yogurt – Apply plain yogurt every night to lighten the brown spots till they fade. To intensify the effect of the yogurt, add lemon or lime juice to it.
3. Oranges and tomatoes – Mash oranges and tomatoes or other fruits that can bleach brown spots. Combine this with aloe vera gel then apply on brown spots for 15minutes daily.
4. Lemon juice – Apply lemon juice to the brown spots and leave on for 30 minutes then rinse. Do this for 8 weeks.
5. Pineapple juice – Apply pineapple juice (from fresh fruit not from a can) to the brown spots and leave on for 30 minutes.
6. Papaya – Remove the pulp and seeds of a ripe papaya. Rub your face with the inside of the papaya peel then let dry for 20 minutes. You can rinse your face after.
7. Parsley and turmeric – Grind fresh parsley and turmeric then mix with turmeric. Apply to face.
8. Onion and cider vinegar – Put 1 onion in blender and pulse for 15 seconds. Use cheesecloth to strain juice then mix with equal amount of apple cider vinegar. Using a cotton ball, dab brown parts and rinse off after 30 minutes. Continue daily for 6 weeks.
9. Sour milk – Apply sour milk with a cotton ball to brown spots. Put some lemon in the sour cream if you have oily skin.
10. Yogurt and lime juice – Mixing yogurt and lime juice make good home remedies for brown spots. Rub the mixture directly onto spots. Leave on for 20 to 30 minutes before rinsing.
11. Milk and yellow mustard – Make a paste using milk and yellow mustard. Apply to face and leave on overnight. Rinse off when you wake up.
12. Apple cider vinegar – Drink apple cider vinegar and this may result in a reduction of your brown spots. Put a couple of drops of vinegar in a glass of water and pour it down the hatch. If you can’t stand the taste of the vinegar, add some honey.
13. Aloe Vera and oatmeal – Aloe vera juice or gel has long been known as a general healing agent for skin problems, particularly burns. Many people have also found it to be helpful in reducing age spots. Simply combine with oatmeal then rub the juice or gel directly onto the affected areas twice a day, and leave it on the skin for at least 45 minutes each time. Within a month you should begin to notice improvements.
14. Castor Oil – Castor oil has been shown to improve the appearance of age spots. Simple rub the oil directly onto the affected skin areas once in the morning and once in the evening. This should help fade the spots within a month.
15. Geranium leaves – Blanch geranium leaves in a pan of boiling water then strain liquid and apply pn affected areas.
16. Watermelon peel – Rub watermelon peel over brown spots then wash off after thirty minutes.
17. Facial pack – Make a facial pack using 1 tablespoon of each: oatmeal, yogurt and sour cream. Add 3 to 4 drops of lemon juice. Keep on face after 15 minutes then rinse off.
18. Horseradish – Take a few pieces of horseradish root and soak them in warm milk. Cool milk then apply to affected areas.
19. Aloe vera – This is one of the oldest known home remedies for brown spots. Extract pulp or juice of aloe vera and rub on brown spots regularly.