Q: Grandma, I was told that aside from having a cough, I also have bronchospam. I don’t want to use a inhaler with chemicals. Please suggest anything.
A: Dear D, Your cough is not ordinary if it is accompanied by wheezing and breathlessness. It is bronchospasm which is the abnormal tightening of the bronchi muscle, obstructing the respiratory airway. Most afflicted people use portable inhalers with anti-inflammatory drugs: yet, there are natural ingredients that can be used as treatment option.
Home Remedies for Bronchospasm
1. Omega fatty acids – increase the intake of omega fatty acids to lower down the level of arachidonic acid in the blood. Omega fatty acids can be obtained from marine and plant oils.
2. Boswellia – take a dosage of 3 mg three times a day to improve lung function and reduce asthma attacks.
3. Butyeko breathing techinique – make short, shallow breathing exercise to increase the level of carbon dioxide in the body to make the airways dilate.
4. Weight loss – maintain an ideal weight to reduce the symptoms of acute bronchospasm.
5. Acupuncture – this ancient Chinese method has a proven efficacy in treating patients with chronic bronchitis, emphysema, or asthma.
6. Asthma diet – reduce sugar and dairy products in your diet to reduce the symptoms of broncho spasm.
7. Turmeric – grind turmeric pieces until they become fine powder. Mix one tablespoon of turmeric with two tablespoons of honey. Take this daily dose for a complete relief from asthma.
8. Butterbur – take 5 – 7 grams of dried herb orally daily. The petasin and isopetasin compounds reduce bronchi inflammation. Side effects are headache, nausea and vomiting.
9. Parsley leaf – add two teaspoon of fresh parsley or one teaspoon of dried parsley to one cup of boiling water. Soak for 15 minutes before straining. Add honey to taste.
10. Mullein – drink Mullein-based tea to relax constricting airways and to relieve wheezing during asthma attacks.
11. Ginkgo Biloba – consult a doctor for the correct individual dosage of this powerful herb with anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce bronchospasm during asthma attacks.
12. Tulsi (Holy Basil) – grind a few leaves of tulsi. Mix 20 m. of the tulsi paste with 13 ml of honey. Eat the mixture once a day.
13. Black pepper corns – mix black pepper corns with tulsi leaves and chew the mixture every night before retiring to bed.
14. Indian root, Echinacea root, Elecampane root – combine two teaspoons each of the three ingredients to two cups of water and make a tea. Allow two hours to steep before drinking.
15. Chamomile flower – make a tea out of one teaspoon each of chamomile flowers, Echinacea root, mullein leaves and passion flower leaves with one quart of boiling water. The brew helps in improving the breathing pattern.
16. Water – drink plenty of water to keep the airways clean.
17. Honey and vinegar – mix equal amount of honey and white wine vinegar. Heat in microwavable cup to maximum drinkable temperature and consume immediately to relieve wheezing.
18. Black coffee – a cup of black coffee can help in opening up the airway.