Q: My mother has shoulder/neck pain for about 1 month now. She’s a house wife and works all the time. She is 45 years old. The pain wasnt sudden it came gradually. Her shoulders hurt more in the morning. What can I do to help?
A: Dear J, Aches and pains are certainly a nuisance for your mom but there are some things you can do to help her. Still, it is always a good idea to find the cause of what she is going through. You mentioned that she is 45 so there is a possibility that it could be hormonal. You also mentioned that it is worse in the mornings so it could have something to do with her activities. Likewise, it could be due to her position while sleeping. In the meantime, Grandma has some home remedies for you to try.
HOME REMEDIES FOR BODY PAIN IN WOMEN
1. Aloe vera gel – This may help alleviate pain. Massage gently on her shoulders.
2. Ginger powder – Put some ginger powder in a cup of tea. This helps relieve inflammatory pain and stiffness.
3. Powdered kelp seaweed – Add powdered kelp seaweed to a tub of water for a relaxing hot bath. You would have to pay a fortune to get this is a spa but it is available as one of the home remedies for body pain in women.
4. Camphor, eucalyptus oil, methyl salicylate and menthol – Make a homemade rubbing mixture from these ingredients and rub on affected areas to relieve pain. Remember to rub gently.
5. Oil of wintergreen – Spread oil of wintergreen on a clean washcloth or cheesecloth and use as a compress.
6. Ice pack – Put an ice pack over the painful area.
7. Vinegar – Warm vinegar and rub it on the sore area. This will of course make your mom smell “vinegary” but she cantake a warm bath after.
8. Apple cider vinegar and honey – Mix 2 teaspoons of honey, 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and apply to painful areas.
9. Warm bath – A good soak in a warm bath can work wonders. Encourage your one to take one in the mornings.
10. Geranium oil, lavender oil or other botanical oils – A gentle massage using botanical oils can help relieve pain.
11. Meadowsweet – The herb meadowsweet has anti-inflammatory properties and is a milder pain reliever than aspirin.
12. Boswella – This has been used by Indians as a treatment for arthritis. It can be found in health food stores as a supplement.
13. Epsom salts – A good soak in a bath with Epsom salts may help relieve your mom.
14. Turmeric – Put some turmeric powder in a cup of tea or put it in foods such as curry or take it in capsule form. This is ginger-like root is a natural pain killer from grandma’s cache of home remedies for body pain in women. However, women who take warfarin (Coumadin) should avoid turmeric because of drug interaction.
15. Tart cherry juice – Drinking a lot of cherry juice will help relieve muscle pains. It also has anti-inflammatory properties on top of being a good source of antioxidants. This is definitely one of grandma’s favorite home remedies for body pain in women.
16. Flaxseed – Mix about an ounce and a half of ground flaxseed into foods. This helps relieve women of pains and aches that come with menopause.