Q: Grandma, I’m experiencing nasal congestion with swelling mostly under the eye area. I tried saline solution but it only provided temporary relief. Please help since I need to feel better soon so I can go back to work.
A: Dear J,Blocked nasal passages usually occur due to bloated mucous membranes stuffing the lining of the nose. Such condition can affect a person’s hearing and speech. It may also cause a person to snore due to the failure of air to pass through the nose. Nasal congestion accompanied by watery or swollen eyes may be caused by viral infection, allergies or irritants like tobacco and chemical fumes. In most cases, a stuffed nose usually lasts in a week’s time and is not difficult to treat with common home remedies.
HOME REMEDIES FOR BLOCKED NASAL PASSAGES
1. Mustard oil – apply raw mustard oil on both sides of the nose to warm us the nasal cavity and relaxes the hardened mucus inside. Do this on a nightly basis before retiring to bed.
2. Coconut oil and ginger extract – combine equal amount of coconut oil and ginger extract. Heat over low flame and rub on the forehead an hour before bath time.
3. Eucalyptus oil – massage the forehead with eucalyptus oil daily. Another method is to add a few drops of eucalyptus oil in a container of hot water. Lower the face over it and cover the head with a towel then inhale the steam.
4. Tea tree oil – repeat the same procedure done when using eucalyptus oil.
5. Oil of Oregano – add a few drops of oregano oil in your fruit juice drink. Consume every morning to serve as a natural decongestant for blocked nasal passages.
6. Onion – sniff a sliced onion to trigger a nose run to unclog the mucus inside.
7. Hot tea or hot soup – drink plenty of hot liquid with evaporating steam to clear the nasal passages.
8. Chamomile – place any chamomile form in a pot of boiling water. Cover with a lid. Wait for ten minutes before removing the lid and inhaling the steam. Cover the head with a towel while lowered over the pot.
9. Spicy food – eat spicy food or ingredients such as Tabasco sauce and raw hot chili peppers to cause the nose to run.
10. Hot shower – while under the hot shower, inhale the evaporating steam to unblock the clogged nose. More preferably, shower before retiring to bed to have a relaxing sleep.
11. Heat Compress – heat a damp face towel in the microwave for a minute. Test the towel first before putting it below the swollen eyes and the clogged nose.
12. Witch hazel, cherry bark and white oak bark – combine two parts each of these ingredients and grind into powder form. Sniff the powder to unclog blocked nasal passages. If the last two ingredients are not available, witch hazel can be used alone.
13. Walking – walk outside the house to inhale fresh air. This way helps the lungs to function properly, improves blood circulation and decongests stuffy nose.
14. Drink plenty of water – consume at least eight to ten glasses of water every day to detoxify the body and flush out the mucus in the nasal passages.
15. Elevate the head – raise the head by adding more pillows to bring congestion downward and ease blocked nasal passages.