Q:Grandma, I have a thick waistline due to a sedentary lifestyle through all these years. It’s now a health concern according to my doctor. How can I lose my belly fat?
A: Dear J, Extra fat around the waist is not only ugly and burdensome; it also sets the stage for serious health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Unfortunately, a lot of people with belly fat usually fail to get rid of the unsightly flab because burning it often meant counting calories and increasing physical activity. There’s good news, however. If diet and exercise are impossible to pull off, there are simple home remedies for belly fat that can help you eliminate the stubborn fat and restore your abdominal muscles to their flat appearance.
HOME REMEDIES FOR BELLY FAT
1. Stay well hydrated – Not too many people know it, but one of the best home remedies for belly fat is hydration. Dehydration can slow down your body’s metabolism which, in turn, can aid in the build-up of fat. Studies have shown that drinking 500 ml of water increases a person’s metabolism for about 30 minutes. (In that time, an individual has already burned 25 calories, which is around 5 M&Ms chocolate). 
2. Increase your consumption of nuts – Nuts such as peanuts, walnuts, and almonds help you reduce belly fat because they’re rich in protein, as well as healthy fats such as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Nuts make a perfect snack because the proteins they contain effectively quench hunger and stimulate fat metabolism. 
3. Get adequate sleep – Spending more time under the covers has been proven to help reduce belly fat. Evidence suggests that people who lack sleep metabolize calories less efficiently than those who are well rested. What is more, individuals with disturbed biorhythms tend to eat more. Getting eight hours of sleep a night is one of the best home remedies for belly fat that you can follow. 
4. Curb your intake of carbs – Cutting back on sugar and sticking to good carbs can do wonders for your stomach. According to experts, designing snacks around complex carbohydrates over simple carbohydrates can help reduce belly fat. Complex carbs such as whole grains, legumes, potatoes, and corn can make you feel full for extended periods and are less likely to make you eat more often. 
5. Get enough Vitamin C – Vitamin C is more than just an immune booster, it is also a belly fat buster. Vitamin C is essential for the production of molecules used for the proper metabolism of fat. Without it, the body won’t be able to use stored fat. Studies reveal that people with low vitamin C tend to have higher waist measurement despite overall weight loss. So, if you want to lose belly fat fast, be sure to include Vitamin C in your diet. 
6. Get into a regular exercise program – It is important to keep the body working so that the metabolism rate never slows down. This results in a steady burning of calories and melting of stores and stubborn fats. To be able to stick to an exercise routine, it is important that you like what you are doing. There are so many ways to get your body moving. Choose a sport or exercise system that you like doing. Staying active around the house or office can also help you burn those fats in your midsection.