Q: Grandma, I really like wearing sandos to show off my muscles but I have acne all over my back. It is embarassing especially when there are ladies around. What remedies are possible for back acne?
A: Dear J, Back acne happens due to raging hormones. It a trying time when the skin goes haywire and acne starts appearing. For some people, acne attacks their backside without them noticing it. This can be embarrassing and uncomfortable especially when sleeping or lying on the back. Bare your back and sleep more comfortably with these easy tips and tricks. A few home solutions can get your acne-ridden back clean as new in no time.
Home Remedies for Back Acne
1. Banana – Get a bowl and squash two pieces of banana then rub it around the back. Leave it around for 10 minutes then rinse off with water.
2. Sea salt and water – Another good example of home remedies for back acne is sea salt. Before taking a bath apply the sea salt on the affected area, scrubs and let it dry. Rinse.
3. Hair – Avoid letting your hair touch your back. Human hair contains natural oils that can help in the buildup and formation of germs if is not properly washed.
4. Dishwashing liquid – Apply dishwashing liquid at the affected part and rinse. Dishwashing liquid can help remove oil, but can also make your skin dry and rough.
5. Hygiene – Always keep your body clean, shower at least twice a day and keep your body dry. It is recommended to use antibacterial soap, Wash your back gently; do not scrub it forcefully or it may aggravate an acne breakout. Always keep your back dry using a cloth from sweat.
6. Water – Water is a natural solvent and can help cleanse the body from impurities it is advisable to drink 1.5-2 liters daily. Additionally, after waking up, mix half a lemon with a teaspoon of honey and drink it with lukewarm water on an empty stomach.
7. Tea Tree Oil – Applying tea tree oil in the affected area can help in cleaning the back due to its anti-bacterial properties. It can also help reduce inflammation in the skin which is caused by acne. Tea tree oil can be used even by people who have sensitive skin.
8. Exercise – Exercising daily can help the body get a good blood circulation that brings fresh oxygen to the skin pores which in turn can make your skin cleansed and glowing.
9. Back Scratcher – When cleaning your back avoid buying back scratchers that are rough and can possibly cause wounds. Buy ones that has a washcloth attached to its end with a rubber band.[3}
10. Olive Oil – Olive oil can be applied on the skin without making it too oily. This can be a substitute from a chemical lotion. Olive oil can moisturize and hydrate the skin.
11. Witch Hazel – This aromatic plant has powerful astringent properties. Other than it can help tone the skin and reduce pore size, it is also can help against inflammations. Witch hazel is very cheap and is a good solution against oily skin and acne. This is another good example of home remedies for back acne.
12. Apple Cider Vinegar – Another good substitute for witch hazel is apple cider vinegar. It won’t only kill the germs on the skin, it can also balance the skin’s pH. Mix with water, dab on cotton and apply on skin for two weeks.
13. Lavender Oil – When taking a bath use lavender oil. It has essential oils that fight germs and inflammation. Studies also show that lavender can help relieve stress and calm the mind.